My heat sucks

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
The heat in my GTP just does not feel as warm as other cars, it also does not blow that hard. Not to mention the car takes forever to warm up. Currently running a 180 tstat with adjusted fan settings (DHP settings) and a aftermarket blower motor, everything else is stock as a rock. Im thinking the blower motor could be a problem because when I changed it out a few years ago it just didn't "seal" as tight as the OEM.

Discuss.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
replace Tstat.. that can fix your heating up issue..

As far as the heater core.. gotta flush it out... if its clogged... hot coolant is not hitting the heatercore, thus cool air comes out.

Also check your coolant level.. my 02 gtp had low coolant... low enough to not trigger the light, but low enough for no heat to come out

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
If I take this to the mechanic to have him flush the cooling system and switch to green would it make my heat better? Id also probably change the tstat for peace of mind. I'm talking flush with the machine, not drain and fill.

Car probably takes 10 min to reach operating temp from a cold start. even when its warm the heat isnt that good. The heat in the vette burns my face off.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
clogged heatercore with that lovely dex baby shit, stuck open T stat, blower motor could be an issue but usually if its not spinning full speed you actually get warmer air out the vents

block heater

I shall piggy back onto this thread....

I've heard that Dexcool is known to plug heater cores. Question is, is it as simple as hooking up the garden hose to one side and another hose down to a bucket to catch everything that comes out?

BLOCK HEATER! I haz one. Can you leave them plugged in over night? Or is it best to run them for a short period of time in the morning prior to the days first cold start?

Thanks, James!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Take both heater core hoses off and hook up the garden hose! Lots of nasty shit will come out.

As for the block heater I had one in one of my old beaters....used to plug it in every night when I got home and left it till morning when I left. :dunno: only thing it's gonna hurt is your pocket from all that electricity and even then it wasn't noticeable.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Not quite but it was enough to hop in and start driving right away. Cut down actual warm up time. The heat in that car wasn't great though even fully warmed up so I'm sure a better conditioned vehicle would have better results. It was an 89 ford aerostar with 190k on it soooo :rofl:

I'd for sure ditch all that dexcool for some green (if you clean it very thorough or the universal yellow stuff. Anything is better then dexcool.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
joes car has the same problem. he should read this thread.

Not exactly. My heat blows hot, but is weak coming out of the vents. Blower motor is screaming but not a lot of air comes out. I thought it could be a vacuum leak affecting the blend doors, but all the hoses are sealed and the actuator hoses are on securely. I can hear the blend doors moving, but there's not total separation between the modes. I'm stumped too.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Not quite but it was enough to hop in and start driving right away. Cut down actual warm up time. The heat in that car wasn't great though even fully warmed up so I'm sure a better conditioned vehicle would have better results. It was an 89 ford aerostar with 190k on it soooo :rofl:

I'd for sure ditch all that dexcool for some green (if you clean it very thorough or the universal yellow stuff. Anything is better then dexcool.

Yea, thats interesting to me. I hadn't been aware of this until I started reading more on another site pertaining to my truck. They were very clear about Dexcool plugging stuff up and causing problems.

I'm curious what would happen if I were to flush out my 228k mi heater core that has been ran on Dexcool all its life... the heat in the burb is "ok to eh" once it gets to temp.... but the cabin space is also massive so there is obviously a lot more air to heat up. However, the air leaving the vents is not terribly hot either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info