3800 3800 owners: Recall Watch-207,542 Pontiacs and Buicks recalled due to engine fire

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Normally, we get our recall notices directly from NHTSA, but since the fed's search section is down for maintenance, we'll rely on Kyle's tip to point us to GMInsideNews. The forum for all things General-related has posted a directive addressed to all Buick and Pontiac dealers regarding an upcoming recall issued by NTHSA that affects the 1997-2003 Buick Regal GS and the 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP fitted with the 3.8-liter supercharged V6.

Both models apparently have a problem with oil leaking onto the exhaust manifold under hard braking. If the oil makes it underneath the manifold's heat shield, it's possible that it could ignite a small flame which could spread to the spark plug covers. The engine fire normally happens five- to ten-minutes after the vehicle has been shut down, and GM is suggesting that all of the 207,542 vehicles affected shouldn't park inside garages, carports or other parking structures until the required fix is completed. The recall notices were sent out today, so we'd suspect that dealers should have the necessary parts in stock by the end of the month.

Until NHTSA's site gets back online, follow the source link below for the full directive.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/13/recall-watch-207-542-pontiacs-and-buicks-recalled-due-to-engine/

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Yeah, was reading about this on ClubGP. I had my lower intake gasket replace about three years ago. Probably will take it in and see what they say. Maybe before the headers go on.

Edit: The dealershp did the valve cover gaskets at the same time. I think it's part of the install. It was cheap, too, cause I was at college in Michigan where the shop rate was $60/hr.

Last edited:

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Yup. GM will recall for a piece of rubber gasket. It took Ford how long to get rid of those tires killing families? Just wondering.

I'd rather have my car roll over than have my entire family burn alive because of the 3800 that tries to kill itself by setting itself on fire inside a family garage.

Also, seeing as how the 2009 model year is almost here, and the recall includes the 1997 Grand Prix, that would make it almost 12 years for good ol genital motors, right? I never really followed the whole explorer fiasco, how long did that last?

Last edited:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I'd rather have my car roll over than have my entire family burn alive because of the 3800 that tries to kill itself by setting itself on fire inside a family garage.

Also, seeing as how the 2009 model year is almost here, and the recall includes the 1997 Grand Prix, that would make it almost 12 years for good ol genital motors, right? I never really followed the whole explorer fiasco, how long did that last?

Less then 300 cars had this happen. 19 buildings damaged. 0 casualtys. How many did Ford have??

Its funny Firestone tires were the cause yet other makes, models had the same firestone tires. Try again chief.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Less then 300 cars had this happen. 19 buildings damaged. 0 casualtys. How many did Ford have??

Its funny Firestone tires were the cause yet other makes, models had the same firestone tires. Try again chief.

Its funny, Firestone tires were the cause, and yet other makes, models had the same firestone tires THAT WERE ALSO RECALLED.

The 'explorer' issue with these tires was the recommended PSI from Firestone was 30, Ford was 26 (which could increase the likelihood of a roll-over, but was not the cause of the tires blowing out as proved during the investigation of that whole mess)

*Pulled from an article back in Aug 2000*

As the recall of Firestone tires proceeds in the United States and the number of complaints grows, new evidence suggests that the practices of both Bridgestone/Firestone and Ford Motor Company were involved in the widespread failure of the tires. Most of the tire failures involved Ford Explorer sport utility vehicles.

Earlier this month Firestone, a unit of Japan's Bridgestone Corporation, recalled its 15-inch ATX and ATX II tires, plus 15-inch Wilderness AT tires. The recall involved more than 6 million tires.

Last edited:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
...There are a number of parallels between this recall in 2000 and the 1978 recall of the Firestone 500....there was a documented coverup by Firestone of the 500 defect, spurred by the lack of a Firestone replacement tire. When the coverup was disclosed, the top management of the company was replaced as Firestone was severely damaged in reputation and economically. But a key difference is that the Firestone 500 was used on passenger cars, which rarely rolled over with tire failure. NHTSA documented 41 deaths with the 500, a recall, involving seven million tires.[21] ”

The report went on to indicate that Ford also had a major role in the problems stating that The Ford Motor Company had instructed Firestone to add a nylon ply to the tires it manufactured in Venezuela for additional strength and that Ford had made suspension changes to the Explorer model available in Venezuela. Ford did not specify adding the nylon ply for U.S.-made Firestone tires nor did it change the Explorer suspension on US models at this time.

Ford ExplorerAn abnormally high failure rate in Firestone's Wilderness AT, Firestone ATX, and ATX II tires resulted in multiple lawsuits, as well as an eventual mandatory recall. In 2001 Bridgestone/Firestone severed its ties to Ford citing a lack of trust. The lack of trust came about concerns that Ford had not heeded warnings by Bridgestone/Firestone relating to the design of the Ford Explorer.[22] In 2006, Firestone announced renewed efforts to recall tires of the same model recalled in 2000 after the tires were linked to recent deaths and injuries. Although Firestone estimates 97% of the tires were replaced in the 2000 recall concern existed over spare tires that many owners did not think to replace during the 2000 recall.[23] Part of this effort was a new advertising campaign in an attempt to reach the 5% of customers that still had not acted on its voluntary recall program. The recall/replacement program was supported by a comprehensive advertising and consumer outreach campaign and over 6.3 million tires were replaced of the total 6.5 million affected. This still leave approx 200,000 tires out there somewhere. While the company believes that most of those tires unaccounted for have probably been scrapped long ago it is still trying to locate as many as possible.[24]

All firestone. Ford had NOTHING to do with it :rofl: 208K GM units VS 1,575,000 Ford units. GM 0 casualtys VS Fords 41.

Leave the tire making to the tire companies Ford.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
All firestone. Ford had NOTHING to do with it :rofl: 208K GM units VS 1,575,000 Ford units. GM 0 casualtys VS Fords 41.

Leave the tire making to the tire companies Ford.

Ford may have had things to do with it, but it was still a tire defect, not a truck defect, there was NOTHING WRONG WITH THE SUV, hence why they just changed the tires, and they were fine.

You comparing the Firestone recall to GM's recall is comparing apples to oranges.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Hey now, talk to your ford humping buddy. Recall to recall, Ford peeps shouldnt talk. Ford had a hand in making the tires. GM most likely outsourced the gaskets. The gaskets did not start failing for at least 8 years. Ford assisted firestone tires lasted 7X less then that. Also less then 20% of the problem happened while the engine was on. What was Fords again?

Now stop thread crapping you shitty underpowered ford owners. Kthnx.

Last edited:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I guess no one knows about the Ford Pintos. Back in the 70's Fords best selling car had a defect in where when the car was in a rear end collusion (even a few small one) the car would explode instantly. Something with the gas tank, I dont remember. Anyway this was a cheap and easy fix for Ford, But since there were 1.5 million pointos on the road, it was cheaper for Ford to payoff the lawsuits from the explosions rather than recall all the cars, so thats what they did. 60 People were killed, not just a few hundred damaged cars like this GM defect.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Well, what about the cruise control problem where there's 10 million Ford vehicles recalled over the past decade for the same speed control switch that leaks fluid and sets the car on fire?

Hmmm.

207,000 versus 10 million. Lemme think about that.

Right now, Ford has a shortage of parts in some dealerships for the necessary components to fix the problem, so they're simply disconnecting the cruise control until parts come in.

Edit: Even though the recall says parts will be coming in October 2007, there's currently still a shortage. I know two people who recently just went to dealerships, one in Kansas City, one in Chicago, where they didn't have the parts.

From NHTSA:

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
FORD / BRONCO 1993
FORD / CROWN VICTORIA 1992-1998
FORD / E-150 1997-2002
FORD / E-250 1997-2002
FORD / E-350 1997-2002
FORD / E150 1992-1993 2003
FORD / E250 1992-1993 2003
FORD / E350 1992-1993 2003
FORD / E450 2003
FORD / EXPLORER 1999-2001
FORD / EXPLORER SPORT 2001-2002
FORD / EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 2001-2002
FORD / F-150 LIGHTNING 2003-2004
FORD / F150 1993
FORD / F250 1993
FORD / F350 1993
FORD / F450 1993
FORD / F53 1995-2002
FORD / RANGER 1998-2002
FORD / TAURUS SHO 1993-1995
LINCOLN / MARK VIII 1993-1998
LINCOLN / TOWN CAR 1992-1998
MERCURY / CAPRI 1994
MERCURY / GRAND MARQUIS 1992-1998
MERCURY / MOUNTAINEER 1999-2001
Recall Number: 07V336000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN.
Consequence:
THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A FUSED WIRING HARNESS. OWNERS OF THE PASSENGER CARS INCLUDED IN THIS CAMPAIGN WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO RETURN THEIR VEHICLES TO THEIR DEALERS TO HAVE THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH DISCONNECTED AS AN INTERIM REPAIR. AS SOON AS REPAIR PARTS ARE AVAILABLE (EXPECTED OCTOBER 2007), OWNERS WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO RETURN TO THE DEALERS FOR INSTALLATION OF A FUSED WIRING HARNESS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 13, 2007, AND MAILING COMPLETED BY SEPTEMBER 19, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-888-222-2751.
Notes:
FORD RECALL NO. 05S28. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION;S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Last edited:

01Cobra

http://www.flamingfords.info/zFTCLaterModels.html

Fords setting fire to garages.:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info