Maby a dumb question

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
How come these GTP's mod list does not have any transmission work done?

http://www.sinisterdd.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=118

http://www.sinisterdd.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=165

I could search for more lists, but these two both appear to have stock trans. Or at least it does not show a upgraded trans in the list. Am I missing something? I thought these trans were made of glass when it comes to heavy power or at least exceeding the stock power.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
A built transmission is NOT necessary. Just keep in mind that the stock trans is not that good, and when modded you increase the risk of blowing it up. I personally would not purchase a expensive part like a transmission unless my stock one went out. Seems silly to replace stuff that isnt broken. Some ballers on the other hand purchase a built trans before they have issues, not only for the performance increase but for piece of mind knowing any min the stock one could blow. Many people with considerable mods run a stock trans with zero issues, just remember it could blow at anytime. I modded my car knowing very well it will increase my changes of trans trouble down the road.

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
A built transmission is NOT necessary. Just keep in mind that the stock trans is not that good, and when modded you increase the risk of blowing it up. I personally would not purchase a expensive part like a transmission unless my stock one went out. Seems silly to replace stuff that isnt broken. Some ballers on the other hand purchase a built trans before they have issues, not only for the performance increase but for piece of mind knowing any min the stock one could blow. Many people with considerable mods run a stock trans with zero issues, just remember it could blow at anytime. I modded my car knowing very well it will increase my changes of trans trouble down the road.

At the time I got the trans in the GTP, I did not have the GXP for a daily driver. I knew it was reaching the end of its usable life.

Anybody who mods these cars and does not plan on replacing the trans at some point is playing with fire. The question is not IF it will blow up. The question is WHEN will it go?

If you mod these cars to any decent level, at some point, a built trans WILL be needed. If you havent had to do it yet, consider yourself lucky. I just hope you have the cash burning a hole in your back pocket for when it DOES go.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC

It might be better to take out the stock one while it is working and sell it as working to recoup some of the costs of a built tranny. That's what I plan on doing with my motor someday :s00ls:

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
fail.

100k+ miles + decent mods = imminent death.

No way around it. I can post pics of my 115k mile trans durring the rebuild if you want proof to see what happens to clutch packs and 4th shafts with any type of power behind them.

I beat the piss out of my car. It has 108k. Still shifting just fine. At this stage of my life aka going to school and broke as fuck... I plan on swapping in a different stock trans if/when my shit breaks. But for now my car is holding up just fine :dunno:

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
I beat the piss out of my car. It has 108k. Still shifting just fine. At this stage of my life aka going to school and broke as fuck... I plan on swapping in a different stock trans if/when my shit breaks. But for now my car is holding up just fine :dunno:

My car 'felt' fine other than the 1/2 shift getting a little sloppy. I wish you luck.

Oh hai... I used to be non-burned 2nd gear clutchpacks...

ZS2ndclutches.jpg

herro derr... I used to be the 4th clutch shaft...

1ZS4thshaft.jpg

I'm just sayin...

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
My car 'felt' fine other than the 1/2 shift getting a little sloppy. I wish you luck.

Oh hai... I used to be non-burned 2nd gear clutchpacks...

ZS2ndclutches.jpg

herro derr... I used to be the 4th clutch shaft...

1ZS4thshaft.jpg

I'm just sayin...

Believe me... I know it's coming. It's the when part I'm not sure of. But this dude with what I assume to be a stockish gp, shouldn't be worrying all that much.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
JP's trans just went out, but it had some funky trans settings for over a year and i think that put the biggest strain on it. If not for that it would of lasted quite a bit longer from how and where he drives tho.
A TEP trans is ordered.

As most have said driving styles and maintenance play a big factor into life of a 4t65.
Do they break easily if they take a beating, yes to a point.
The two cars you posted are just like Syp said. They are not high horesepower cars(300+hp) yet.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Can having the PCM not mounted fully cause your trans to go bad?

The reason I ask is because I had a transmision guy come into my work and he was saying that the trannys on GTP's arent bad, but its what the guys do to them. He asked me if my PCM was mounted safely. I told him I think it is. He then said that if your PCM is allowed to move and bang around at all it will cause tranny problems.

Is this true?

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Can having the PCM not mounted fully cause your trans to go bad?

The reason I ask is because I had a transmision guy come into my work and he was saying that the trannys on GTP's arent bad, but its what the guys do to them. He asked me if my PCM was mounted safely. I told him I think it is. He then said that if your PCM is allowed to move and bang around at all it will cause tranny problems.

Is this true?

That's an interesting cause-effect idea........

I have 20K plus boosted miles on top of 40kish NA mod'd miles, and my non-hd seems to be in almost one piece :dunno:..... my pcm is solidly mounted, so I might be safe :bowrofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info