3800 GT won't start

DaytonaPrixMI

Regular
Dec 3, 2008
My friend has a 99 GT and it died the other day and we can't figure out what it wrong. She initially had a place look at it and they replaced both the battery and starter. This cleared the code it threw so I can't tell you what it was. Now if you go to start it the starter clicks and then all the lights dim out and nothing happens.

WHat brought this about was her driving home on the expressway. The RPMs dropped and the car was shaking so she gave it gas and they came back up, but she had to give it quite a bit for it to act normal. Then she came to a stop at a light and it started shaking again and the RPMs dropped again and this time it won't start as stated above. Any help would be appreciated, they say its the motor, but I am not sold on that.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
A bad alternator would either drain the battery completly and not start at all, which would eventually drain the battery (Ive had to jump multiple cars multiple times to get it home to swap the alternator) or let the car run with no accesories on for about 5-10 minutes depending on how much juice the battery has.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Ok a little more update I got. Apparently the car will crank by hand till about 3/4 and then stops
[/b]

stops dead (will not turn farther)? or starts to build compression and you have resistance?

the former is bad news

oil level? can you turn it counter clockwise? try to turn it 2 revolutions each dirrection, if you cant at all your looking at possibly a thrown rod

do not try to crank it over with the starter again, till you know the engine is free

Regards, James

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info