3800 Oil Filter question...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
why would you want to go bigger?
[/b]

more filter media suface area for better flow with less pressure drop (same reason i'm drilling mains for less pressure drop past the cam bearing shells) as well as more oil capacity (for the same reasons you would like more coolant capacity in an A2W IC system)

the only drawback is the increased time it takes for the oil to fill a new (larger) filter after an oilchange which means a little longer for oil to get to the bearings...this is minimized by running the engine just prior to the oilchange (fresh oil on the bearing surfaces)
thankfully we dont have an issue with oil drainback that horizontal or upside down filter equipped engines have so the filter doesnt have to be refilled after sitting which can cause accelerated bearing wear from repeated dry startups

and it spins right on with no problems....cheap insurance

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
PF-52
And don't forget to add more oil to compensate for the increased volume of the larger filter - maybe half to 3/4 of a quart.
[/b]

I don't think the differance between the PF-47 and the PF-52 is 3/4 of a quart. Maybe a 1/4 at most looking at it from the outside, but it's packed with filter media. Fill it up normally and then check the dipstick.

Another helpful hint i'd like to add to what James just said about starting the motor with the bigger filter.. You can fill the larger new oil filter <PF-52> up about 3/4 of the way full with oil prior to screwing it back on - being careful not to tip the filter too far to one side so as to avoid spilling oil.
Doing this will help to prime the motor when starting it immediately after the oil change so it wont start on a dry sump.
I do this everytime i change my oil. And yes, it is a little harder to do with the larger filter due to the limited area of space by the control arm

I don't think the differance between the PF-47 and the PF-52 is 3/4 of a quart. Maybe a 1/4 at most looking at it from the outside, but it's packed with filter media. Fill it up normally and then check the dipstick[/b]

Yeah you're right it's closer to 1/4 to 1/2 a quart difference

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info