3800 Engine Noise

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
I had what I thought was a ticking lifter. So I changed the lifters and still have the same noise. I understand its hard to diagnose without hearing it. But I dont have a clue where to even begin now. I was pretty certain it was the lifters before...I'm afraid to drive the car until I figure out what the problem is. This is my DD & I can't be without wheels.

Any input is most appreciated!

Well, if your definately hearing the noise on top the motor and not through the oil pan then maybe you have excessive carbon build up in a cylinder. Maybe you have a weak cylinder, bad plug or wire?? Worst case is a bad wrist pin and those are usually more common in 3.1's. Sometimes exhaust leaks sound like a tick as well. Take all this with a grain of salt, I'm just throwing it out there. :)

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
I purchased some Manley push rods form cgp. They are currently in the car. Does anyone know if they are different size than stockers? I did a compression test little while ago and 150# across the board. Guy on cgp had the same problem, his issue ended up being valve guides. I had all new valve guides put in the heads before they were installed. I dont *think* that is the problem. If it were valve guides would the compression still hold 150psi?Whatever it is is deff. coming from the top of the engine.

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
Yeah, the car is a pleasure to drive. It runs very strong and gets looks everywhere. It's this damn ticking sound that is hard to indentify. If I have to tear the heads down again I will more than likely de-mod the car and sell it. Thats the last thing I want to do, but where do you stop dumping money into the thing. Every time I go WOT I just wait to hear something pop, snap or break.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• B
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list