• Start date

options

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

99montecarloz34

well, ive been tossing around the idea of an IL meet for a couple months now, what are your guy's thoughts? places? events? dates?

im up for just about anything:
1. a meet at a park (such as the w-body meet in Wheaton) would be nice, meet up, cook out, chat with the fellow enthusiasts sounds great to me.
2. a T&T day at a local track (Byron, rt 66, ect) have to get some base #'s on the Z anyway
3. a meet in a praking lot in a higher prpoplulation area (like the CGP meet a month ago) kinda the least organized, but still fun, always the possibilty of being kicked out of the lot and having to move (like the CGP meet)
4. prolly the least likely, i wouldnt mind organizing another dyno meet in the Chicago area, but i doubt we have enough intrest/numbers to get that done

im currently leaning towards #1 myself. i know i have a few court dates coming up, so some weekend may not be good for me (ill post up when i get that far)

posted on: mymonte.com, clubgp.com, w-body.com, 60v6.com, ilcgp.com

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
Wow, yay, 4 Corners again. How about somewhere we won't get kicked out by the police halfway into the night? How about somewhere half of you guys don't go every weekend? There are a hundred parking lots across the Chicago area that are large enough to accomodate a car club meet and we can contact the owners and get permission to be there. That way as long as people are smart and keep any racing far from the meet, the police won't be a problem. We could also look into reserving a picnic area in a local park that just happens to have a large parking lot. Again, no problem with the police for gathering and if we have a daytime meet we can see each other's cars much better. Hell, maybe we could try to have an ILGPC night at GLD or Rt66 on one of their fun-run nights (I'm already going on July 11...).

And since no one paid attention when I suggested this in "anything goes:"
Scion dealers sponsor meets/parties for Scion clubs. The dealers bring in DJs, food, raffle off prizes, etc. and publicize the events on the Internet and in their showrooms. Sometimes they will have prizes for loudest stereo, best paint, etc. Maybe we could talk a Pontiac dealer (Grossinger in Lincolnwood has the room) into doing something like this for the GP/G6 community. The advantages to the dealer are that the events brings in a lot of potential customers in the "car modding" community to see what the potential of a given car is, that a lot of club members will likely get talked into trading up to GTOs, Bonnevilles, and the like, and they get great publicity and word-of-mouth advertising in the enthusiast community.

Just my humble opinion, but it seems to me that we have a lot of creative guys here. Let's try to plan something other than "4 corners again."

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
Originally posted by Ten32@Jun 2 2006, 07:03 PM
Wow, yay, 4 Corners again.  How about somewhere we won't get kicked out by the police halfway into the night?  How about somewhere half of you guys don't go every weekend?  There are a hundred parking lots across the Chicago area that are large enough to accomodate a car club meet and we can contact the owners and get permission to be there.  That way as long as people are smart and keep any racing far from the meet, the police won't be a problem.  We could also look into reserving a picnic area in a local park that just happens to have a large parking lot.  Again, no problem with the police for gathering and if we have a daytime meet we can see each other's cars much better.  Hell, maybe we could try to have an ILGPC night at GLD or Rt66 on one of their fun-run nights (I'm already going on July 11...).

And since no one paid attention when I suggested this in "anything goes:"
Scion dealers sponsor meets/parties for Scion clubs. The dealers bring in DJs, food, raffle off prizes, etc. and publicize the events on the Internet and in their showrooms. Sometimes they will have prizes for loudest stereo, best paint, etc. Maybe we could talk a Pontiac dealer (Grossinger in Lincolnwood has the room) into doing something like this for the GP/G6 community. The advantages to the dealer are that the events brings in a lot of potential customers in the "car modding" community to see what the potential of a given car is, that a lot of club members will likely get talked into trading up to GTOs, Bonnevilles, and the like, and they get great publicity and word-of-mouth advertising in the enthusiast community.

Just my humble opinion, but it seems to me that we have a lot of creative guys here.  Let's try to plan something other than "4 corners again."
[snapback]128397[/snapback]​

Village Pontiac GMC in Naperville - I know the owner, and I would think he would be down for something like that. (theres even a little track out back of the dealer thats a lot of fun to drive around on :D ) I'm down for anything. I havent been to a major meet yet.

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
Originally posted by 98GTPquickRB@Jun 3 2006, 12:46 AM

Village Pontiac GMC in Naperville - I know the owner, and I would think he would be down for something like that. (theres even a little track out back of the dealer thats a lot of fun to drive around on  :D )  I'm down for anything.  I havent been to a major meet yet.
[snapback]128418[/snapback]​

Why don't you ask him if he'd be down for doing something like this? I'm sure that people would even pay like $5-$10 to get in provided there are prizes, food, etc.

ernrcr3

Regular
Feb 26, 2008
Orland Park
I voted #1 cause a forest preserve would be ideal for a meet, cook out, and whatever.

We did this at mymonte.com a few times. I got a forest preserve permit that allowed up to 100 people so it was all legit and everything.

It is getting kind of lame at 4 corners. Having to worry bout cops and unwelcomed guests.. (ricers and whatnot).

Judt my 2 cents.

-ern

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
well as far as I'm concerned....the engine for the GTP is currently sitting on the engine stand in front of it. My plans and thoughts have changed on it. do everything right, no matter how long it takes. after what has happened to some cars up here...I really dont want to drive it. I did make a promise to my parents as an x-mas present..it will run.

are you getting anxious or something? I have a camaro if you want to run it instead?

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
I would be willing to make an attempt at contacting managers of various Pontiac dealerships IF we can get a consensus that people would go. I'd like to be able to tell the dealers "I represent the Illinois Grand Prix Club and we already have 25 members who will show up if you host this event. We are sure we can double that number with proper publicity." Obviously the advantage to the dealers is exposure within the enthusiast community at large as we can advertise for them on the GP boards and they can brag about how supportive they are of our community to prospective sport-sedan and sports-car buyers.

I think that this could be a great event that could draw people from all over the state (you Peorians! get up here!) and even people from WI and MI.

That said... should I create a post specifically to guage the interest on this?

Thread Info