3800 gpg is dead

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Im sure their are at least 20 more people that intended to sign up but didnt. I think this is rediculous because they end of the registration was in june so we have like 2 weeks left to register that they didnt even wait for. i know i was going to in the next week and 3 friends were going to also. I dontk now how many people they wanted but im sure their are over 20 people that didnt sign up that wanted to go.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Originally posted by my97gtp@May 15 2006, 09:04 PM
Im sure their are at least 20 more people that intended to sign up but didnt.  I think this is rediculous because they end of the registration was in june so we have like 2 weeks left to register that they didnt even wait for.  i know i was going to in the next week and 3 friends were going to also.  I dontk now how many people they wanted but im sure their are over 20 people that didnt sign up that wanted to go.
[snapback]125998[/snapback]​
I didnt sign up yet. I could not afford to, thats my excuse. I work a commission job and we are slow, also my 6 month insurance bill is due and that was more important then gpg regisration.

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
oh boy .....

hale, no offense, but where in the f*ck do you figure tony lauer and mike nap have anything to do with this being cancelled ?

Secondly, 13 people had officially registered. (maybe a few more or a few less). These guys have to pay for all of the events and stuff in advance. Register the track, the auto X location, trophies, T-shirts, dinner, and all of the other minor details. That costs a lot of money.

Last year was not a huge year by any stretch of the imagination and due to the issues that occurred last year, they actually were going to incur MORE expenses this year to ensure 'safety' of the area by having security and blocking off the GPG parking area.....

Its very easy for people to sit here and say 'gee WTF did they cancel for because XXX people were going ot register in a few weeks'; however, when its your ass on the line that has to write checks that you'll be personally responsible for if people don't come through and register, its a much different story.

Personally, if we're 3 weeks from registration and there is only 13 people officially signed up, I'm calling it off as well......

IMHO, I think the general registration for event participants is too high.. $85 is pretty high especially considering the ownership of these cars is to much younger people with much less disposable income than in years past; however, at the lower price, they probably could have had many more people register and maybe we'd have enough registration. Unfortunately, its not going to matter at this point.....

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
I see some of your points Charles, however, the hotel being fully booked with people going to the event should be a sign to show them that the registration will pick up. Also, why couldn't they have made a post in one of the many GPG threads on clubgp asking people to register or they would have to cancel? That would have certainly boosted registration. How about the 8 page thread about GPG where dozens of people are discussing their plans for GPG and even plans of who to meet up with while driving? I think it is safe to say all those people would have registered if we were given some kind of notice that the event was in jeopardy. I as well as others are very upset about the whole thing simply for the fact that for some people this is the only event they go to, and for me it is a chance to hang out with friends that I only get to see once a year. In all honesty, I don't care about the cars there, I care about hanging out and sharing stories with friends.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by CoolGTX+May 15 2006, 11:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-gtphale
@May 15 2006, 09:45 PM
tony and Mike nap finally did it they killed gpg  :fight: fuck those money grabbing bitches
[snapback]125973[/snapback]​
sorry charles, but this was their wishes from the get go.
[snapback]126024[/snapback]​
[/b]

The new GPG is in TX. Its called FFE. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fuck that.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by Fish+May 16 2006, 01:18 AM-->
Originally posted by CoolGTX@May 15 2006, 11:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-gtphale
@May 15 2006, 09:45 PM
tony and Mike nap finally did it they killed gpg  :fight: fuck those money grabbing bitches
[snapback]125973[/snapback]​

sorry charles, but this was their wishes from the get go.
[snapback]126024[/snapback]​

The new GPG is in TX. Its called FFE. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fuck that.
[snapback]126027[/snapback]​
[/b]
haha, fuck them is right, because guess what, even that has flopped.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by CoolGTX+May 15 2006, 11:27 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Fish
@May 16 2006, 01:22 AM
Looks like the event to be at this year is Pontiac Nationals.
[snapback]126030[/snapback]​
imho, it is the ONLY one left... -_-
[snapback]126032[/snapback]​
[/b]

Theres the pontiac drag days at cordova. Unless they canceled that as well.

Not as big as Nationals, but it was fun. I still want video of us on the pocket rocket. :lolsign:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah I hear you... The sad fact of the matter is that meets are only going to get smaller, especially the national gatherings. As the cars fall into the hands of those with less money and tighter budgets the sales of expensive add-ons (turbo kits, full transmissions, etc) is going to go down as well as the attendence at these events. You were in it while it was in it's peak guys.

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
Originally posted by BumpinGTP@May 15 2006, 11:15 PM
I see some of your points Charles, however, the hotel being fully booked with people going to the event should be a sign to show them that the registration will

No, the hotel being full and people saying they don't have money for GPG tells me either people are going to cancel at the last minute (hotel reservations don't cost aything after all) -OR- people are going to do like last year and just get a room and hang out and not pay any entry fee at all.

It costs REAL money to do these events and I can't blame them for not taking the chance in hoping people showed up at the last minute. If they sign up for a track, etc, etc, and they don't generate enough cash to pay for it, it comes out of their wallet.......

pick up. Also, why couldn't they have made a post in one of the many GPG threads on clubgp asking people to register or they would have to cancel? That would have certainly boosted registration. How about the 8 page thread about GPG where dozens of people are discussing their plans for GPG and even plans of who to meet up with while driving? I think it is safe to say all those people would have registered if we were given some kind of notice that the event was in jeopardy.

No everyone reads clubgp...... Its not their responsibility, to scavenge the earth for people to sign up. I think honestly, they should have re-did registration so that registration ends on the last day they need to have their finances in order.. That way they don't just pull the plug without any warning; however, all of the people that have been yapping about going should have just f'ing signed up ..... 13 people with 3 weeks left, sorry, I wouldn't personally put my checkbook on the line for those people to actually pony up cash at the last minute .....

I as well as others are very upset about the whole thing simply for the fact that for some people this is the only event they go to, and for me it is a chance to hang out with friends that I only get to see once a year. In all honesty, I don't care about the cars there, I care about hanging out and sharing stories with friends.

Yeah it sucks too, but be pissed that more people didn't sign up I guess. Flaming these guys for making a wise decision on their part and sending them nasty emails will do nothing to get this event back for the nexst year. Giving CONSTRUCTIVE advice (i.e. lower entry fee and get more registrants, earlier cut off, etc, etc) is useful info for them. Bitching about how pissed and hurt you are because people were unwilling to register and sending nasty emails will not get these people very interested in bringing an event back.

Honestly, maybe you should step up and organize one of these events ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info