3800 Hesitation Problems

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Ok recently about 2 or so days ago I noticed when going about 3/4 Throttle from about 40-50 mph the car would hesitate a lil then go ...then hesitate again then go, kind of like I was misfiring but no codes. The hesitation felt as if the car was shifting gears. I have stock PCM, FWI, and DP. I recently had my Fuel filter changed (week ago) but im not sure if that would cause any problems. This morning on the way to work I was checking it out and it only really happens at higher speed. 3/4 Throttle from 10-40 seems ok but 3/4 throttle from 40 and up it jerks (hesitates). I only have 30K on the car so im not really sure what it could be. Hopefully you guys understood what I was trying to explain. I did go WOT 1 time yesterday and it also did the same thing. If I were misfiring would it throw a code for sure?

thanks for any help

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
From that description, it sounds like the car is starving for air. Is it like a 'gasp' for air? You punch the throttle, it hesitates for a second, then it goes. It wouldnt hurt to look at the air intake. A sticky throttle plate would have the same ill effect. Just guessing.

J.E.T.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Originally posted by SINr247@May 5 2006, 11:42 AM
40-50 is where are car always goes back and forht from 3rd gera to forth..maybe you just a a rough trasition going back and forth..with out p.shift on mine is kinda like that. id put money on it its that.
[snapback]124643[/snapback]​

Well the hesitation comes and goes the whole time from say 40-80. So Im pretty sure its not the acutal shifts. When I was was talking about shifting it was just to explain how it felt.(like an upshift) Obviously im not shifting at 60,70,80 mph. Thanks for all the input guys. I checked my FWI and all seems ok. I was thinking of getting some new plugs (tr6's) anyway. Other than the plugs I personally dont know what to check. I was thinking of cleaning my maf sensor but im not sure if that would cause this problem. Im going to borrow my cuz's laptop and try and scan over the weekend. Maybe you guys can look at the scan and see somthing??

Ron Stock plugs is what im running.

Can I pay someone to change my plugs possibly over the weekend? Im sure its not too difficult to do but I'd rather just pay someone :unsure: .

May 24, 2007
do you have stock wires?? it could be bad plug wires. it was happening to me where my car would hesitate at around 75% and it turned out being my wires were arcing through the porceline on the plugs. it only happen at around 75 but i was never able to go WOT. if you need help i can change your plugs for you this weekend. check your plugs to see if the porceline is cracked. its happened to my buddys GTP also. id be glad to help.

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
vogel1.jpg

Ron Vogel is definitely the man to talk to! Anyone who is planning on attending the Mod/Race weekend in two weeks, take some time and say Hi to this guy, you learn a lot about your car, and quickly too!

As for your issues, check your plug gapping... Friday Night Ron Vogel and I went out and took my car for a scan, came back and he checked each of my plugs and sure enuf the gap was too big! My car was not only hesitating, but according to Vogel, my car was like wheezing, he re-gapped my plugs and we took it back out for a spin, with the scanner hooked back up we turned a corner and he says "Okay, get on it!" Sure enuf, the wheezing was gone and I watched the Tach go well into the 6.5K range with ease... however, my car is still hesitating a little bit in the 40-50mph range, but I only notice it when I'm driving that actual speed like on a 45mph road... so in a way, just like yours... Ron also suggested that I change out my O2 sensor for better gas mileage and get my trans fluid changed too... so thats my next two projects... lastly he mentioned that my timing was a little on the low side, the car was running lean, i was loosing some boost and that because I recently re-flashed my PCM to v1.5, it might be a good idea to go back to v1.0...

The night started with finding 4.6 knock... ended with about 1-1.5 knock based on issues that need attention. Thanks again to Ron Vogel, he knows his stuff!!

Originally posted by syP@May 6 2006, 06:17 PM
yes im sure your TACH went to 6500rpms....

you have something wrong with your car if you shift at 6500rpms on a stock valvetrain.
[snapback]124740[/snapback]​
yes im sure your TACH went to 6500rpms....

you have something wrong with your car if you shift at 6500rpms on a stock valvetrain.

i brought mine up to 7k before :eek:

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
THanks for all the suggestions fellas. Im just going to take my FWI off and take er in to the ol dealership so they can tell me nothing is wrong :rolleyes: . It only happens when I get into boost. It feels fine when im driving normally.(like that ever happens :p ) Since I still have 4K left on my warranty I might as well use it.

Ricky: I still plan on changing my plugs after my dealer visit but I was hoping to find someone a little bit closer since im right on the Chi/Ind border. If all fails I guess I could take a lil trip and bring a 12 pk along. (if your even old enough to drink??)

May 24, 2007
Originally posted by tonzcompg04@May 8 2006, 12:12 AM
Ricky:  I still plan on changing my plugs after my dealer visit but I was hoping to find someone a little bit closer since im right on the Chi/Ind border.  If all fails I guess I could take a lil trip and bring a 12 pk along. (if your even old enough to drink??)
[snapback]124859[/snapback]​
Im not but i will :lolsign:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info