3800 blew my tranny!

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
i was coming home from driving down I-55, two blocks from home and my engine started sputtering and violently rocking, then it stopped as soon as it started. Then it happened again only this time the SES light came on.

My friend Adam (blownbyyou) plugged his auto-tap up and it displayed i've got a TCC problem. I'm still waiting to hear back from him.
This freakin sucks man!

Tomorrow i'm taking to the stealership ( i already de-modded :( ) cause i'm under GMPP warranty for 11 more months to find out if they're gonna hose me.

and how the hell do you post up a poll?

after i get my trans fixed, what pulley do i put back on??
i have 3.3, 3.4 and a 3.5 - my mods are in my sig

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
Originally posted by vipermike2002@Apr 2 2006, 06:35 PM
That sucks man. Lets hope the dealer fixes it all up, and doesent give you anyshit about your car being modded.
[snapback]120393[/snapback]​

yeah no kidding!
i'm friends with the service manager at my local Pontiac stealership. . . but the last time i was in for LIM gaskets he said that the warranty inspector was there and noted that i had a smaller s/c pulley and would void my warranty if i blew my motor. i sure as hell hope this wont affect me when i bring it in tomorrow for my trans.

if they screw me, you'll be seeing me on the 5pm news for manslaughter :angry:

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
Originally posted by FastGS88@Apr 2 2006, 07:15 PM
it's just the TCC solenoid most likely....you didn't "blow your tranny"

It's an easy enough fix for the dealer.

As far as the pulley, I say 3.5.

Safer way to make easier power
[snapback]120399[/snapback]​

thanks for the useful input!
IIRC the TCC was a typical problem on our tranny's - i hope that's all it is

HUNTERDOG

Addict
Jan 26, 2008
I understand why you guys feel the way you do about dealers. At our store we understand that people like to have fun with their cars and that they are going to mod them. If the repair isn't directly related to the damaged part there isn't any problem fixing it under warranty. In the five years I have been there I have only seen one car be denied because of a modification, only because the factory tech was there and it was a motor job.

I say you make nice nice with the dealer (the right dealer) and you will be happy.

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
Originally posted by HUNTERDOG@Apr 2 2006, 08:46 PM
I understand why you guys feel the way you do about dealers. At our store we understand that people like to have fun with their cars and that they are going to mod them. If the repair isn't directly related to the damaged part there isn't any problem fixing it under warranty. In the five years I have been there I have only seen one car be denied because of a modification, only because the factory tech was there and it was a motor job.

I say you make nice nice with the dealer (the right dealer) and you will be happy.
[snapback]120418[/snapback]​

i have worked at auto dealerships in the parts department my entire adult life. . .
i know a thing or two about what goes on behind the scenes at these places and it's alot of BS!

Having worked with the service manager before where i'm taking my car really doesn't help much if there's warranty inspectors snooping around...

let's all hope you won't be seeing me on the 5pm news tonight for going 'postal' at the stealership <_<

Ten32

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Wilmette, IL
Originally posted by superchargedgp@Apr 3 2006, 11:16 AM
i just love how people bitch about dealerships when their warranty work gets denied.  YOU MODDED THE CAR, shit broke its not GM's fault.  learn to live with it insted of going "postal"
[snapback]120503[/snapback]​

I completely agree with you... provided of course that the modifications actually CAUSED the mechanical failure in question. What pisses me off is when a dealer will deny warranty work for a failure that is clearly NOT caused by the modification (i.e. "we won't work on your engine because you installed a CAI"). Hell, even when it MIGHT have caused the failure, the onus is on the dealership to figure out the true cause and to be honest if it's not because of the modification.

all i have to say is pffft to you Mike..thanks for the moral support <_<

i just got back from the stealership and my trans is fried - there were metal shavings on the magnet in the pan..alot of metal shavings.

i spoke with the warranty adjuster dude and he said if i wouldn't have put the OEM parts back on my car, they would have voided my warranty(he remembered me from last time i was there for LIM gaskets with the 3.5 pulley still on) . . they also flashed my DHP PCM :angry: so i'll have to send it back to DHP for them to re-flash it for me.
all in all the warranty adjuster dude was fair and unbiased, but he said that they at the GMPP warranty admin are aware of the mods that we perform on our GP's and we aren't fooling anybody by putting the OEM parts back on before taking it in.
Thank God i decided not to go to the Byron race meet - lol

*edit* the warranty adjuster also noted i have a high-flow cat and a simulator in place of the rear O2..i claimed it was for better gas mileage, but he didn't believe me :rolleyes:

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
dealerships are horrible. back when I had my old 95 gp, I blew the engine..too much spray. so I bought a NEW gm crate engine with full factory warranty. I went back a month later do to a slight knock noise. they couldnt find anything wrong. on the way home the valve dropped into the engine. they said there was a recall on them. dont you think they'd tell you about the recalls and fix them? I went back 3 more times for the same dam thing. until I blew the engine and tranny and traded it in.

I'd go for the 3.4. you shouldnt see any knock. good luck...doesnt sound like you blew it....sounds like a faulty part. blowing it would be no salvageable...like my last one.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
what does everyone have against a dealership. ive only been at this gm (buick) for 2 years, but if the modification to the car does not affect the problem, it will not void the warranty. at least a factory warranty. i cant speak for the aftermartket ones (gmpp, advantage ect...). but if you put a pulley on the car, with other mods, it would add hp and tq, and put more stress on the trans, motor, pretty much the whole drivetrain. thats why it wouldnt be covered under warranty. and just like anything else in this world, its all about who you know sadly. if someone came into our shop with a warranty car that i knew, it would get fixed. but some places have no 'obligation' to do the repair under warranty if they can prove that it was modded, and the mod would affect the related part. but either either, 100 for a new trans is a steal. that gmpp really paid off!

Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Apr 3 2006, 05:49 PM
what does everyone have against a dealership.  ive only been at this gm (buick) for 2 years, but if the modification to the car does not affect the problem, it will not void the warranty.  at least a factory warranty.  i cant speak for the aftermartket ones (gmpp, advantage ect...).  but if you put a pulley on the car, with other mods, it would add hp and tq, and put more stress on the trans, motor, pretty much the whole drivetrain.  thats why it wouldnt be covered under warranty.  and just like anything else in this world, its all about who you know sadly.  if someone came into our shop with a warranty car that i knew, it would get fixed.  but some places have no 'obligation' to do the repair under warranty if they can prove that it was modded, and the mod would affect the related part.  but either either, 100 for a new trans is a steal.  that gmpp really paid off!
[snapback]120571[/snapback]​

i was with the warranty adjuster poking around underneath my car on the lift. .this dude was like the friggin Gestapo looking for jews and gypsies all the while making comments about my mods and how i'm not fooling him.

My car was bone stock when i brought it back to the stealership for the trans work this time, so there shouldn't be any problem getting my sh*t fixed!
And i'll back this argument up.
And just for the record here, it was NOT noted in writing that my GP was modded the last time i brought it in for the prior warranty work(LIM)

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
right but the car was changed from the original form. they dont have to prove it like a court, if they have reason to believe something was abused (as in adding hp) then they dont have to cover it. but either way good to heard it's getting fixed. with aftermarket warranty's every once in a while they send a rep out to check out the problem before they pay for something, thats why dealers are so strict so they dont get in trouble and then get audited

Originally posted by vipermike2002@Apr 3 2006, 08:29 PM
in my last post i was incorrect in saying 'bone stock' my aircleaner housing is gutted and i have a high-flow cat with a O2 simulator - for gas mileage of course

Dont you also have a downpipe and PEM's that are wraped. The guy couldnt tell those were not stock.
[snapback]120592[/snapback]​

ummm..i musta forgot about the big downpipe - lol.

My PEMs aren't wrapped, only the crossover pipe is. PEMs look bone stock..
The reason i used header wrap on my crossover was because the stock heatshield had corrosion and was rattling. ;)

And yeah, saturdayGS is correct in saying it would be replaced with a reman unit - not a 'new' tranny.
Reman trannys are built to GM specs so i should be good for a little while longer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info