3800 byron results....w/ vid

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
alright well to make a very long story short, took the car to the drag strip saturday and well, i was very disappointed. the track prep and quality was imho, a 4 out of a 1-10 scale. i was able to pull some 1.89 60's but my search for 12's continues. best et of the day was 13.044 @104.69. video can be found here: http://media.putfile.com/1304-GTP time slip here: http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/9101355886.jpg&s=x11

its late, ill post some more later, some funny stories including my buddies incredily fast stock dsm...

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
including my buddies incredily fast stock dsm...

DSC06177Small.jpg

HAHA, This car looked like the biggest piece of shit but was running low to mid 13's everytime. What was done to this car?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
My friend had a 91 Talon AWD Turbo, all it had was exhaust, we took it too the track a few years ago, it ran 13.5@99 best. It had a rusted fender, scratches and dents all over, paint looked like shit. He bought it for $600, and put a new motor in it. Let me see if I can find a picture. We think his car had a boost creep problem and was boosting way more than stock.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
syp i think i ran 10-12 times, about 8 hard runs. others were just a WOT run to see if my o2's were coming down, as i was leaning it out every run until my ls1m failed. but it was pretty much as i expected, empty.

mike that dsm was STOCK. yes no one will ever believe it. i have seen the whole motor. there is NO exhaust modification no intake no fuel (aside from a 255 pump). the only mod is, the head was cleaned up. not hogged out or anything but he just gasket matched everything perfectly after cleaning all the casting marks and crap. and he was running 18psi. he was trying to turn it up, we ran the car with 21psi fine the other day, but the boost controller was leaking so the most he could see was 18. best run was 13.37 @100 with a 1.81 60'.

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
good time? it was horrible..take 1.8 sec off that...thats what it shouldve ran. dam opti. later on that night I waxed a 12.8 sec WS6.... I dont think it wanted to run at the track.

you need better tires. you spun quite a bit on the line. if you had my DR...you wouldve easily been in 12'.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
and he was running 18psi. he was trying to turn it up, we ran the car with 21psi fine the other day, but the boost controller was leaking so the most he could see was 18. best run was 13.37 @100 with a 1.81 60'.

I wouldnt call it stock if its not making stock boost levels. My friend with the 91 TSi had no boost controler but he did have a boost creep problem, he thinks it was running simular boost levels as your friend. ~18psi when he ran that 13.5@99

Those 1G DSM's can be reallly really fast with little money. Im thinking about buying one for a winter car (a 1G AWD Turbo Talon) but I question the reliabilty even if I buy a stock one.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
Originally posted by GTPPWR@Apr 2 2006, 02:48 PM
good time? it was horrible..take 1.8 sec off that...thats what it shouldve ran. dam opti. later on that night I waxed a 12.8 sec WS6.... I dont think it wanted to run at the track.

you need better tires. you spun quite a bit on the line. if you had my DR...you wouldve easily been in 12'.
[snapback]120362[/snapback]​

maybe if you had gotten there a few hours earlier huh?

and i dont think i want to get much better than 1.8,1.9 60's man. track prep just wasnt there. im running the et street radials...dead hook on the street, but yesterday was a little slick beacause of the weather and the prep/time of year.

yeah i agree i call only running on boost/less than mild head/fuel pump stock when others have upgraded turbos,injectors,intercooler/and or piping, tuning,and especially exhaust....

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
1.81 60' for a dsm....thats pretty crappy if you ask me, might just be testament to the track quality.

Oh yeah, don't buy a dsm as a winter beater. It'll be on jackstands before you can say "damn, i wish i hadn't bought a dsm"

But hell, for a couple hundred bucks, i say its worth it, especially if you can find a tsi

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info