3800 Dexron III vs. Dexron VI

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
I was wondering how I should do this. I want to change my trans fluid out this Saturday. I am ordering Dexron VI. The new GM transmission fluid. I was told that this fluid is outstanding for the 4T65E-HD. However, I do not want my trans flushed, because of the bad things that could happen later on. I have 75,000 miles on the 04 and the last pan drop was done at 50,000 mile. Will it matter if I use 2 gallons of the Dexron 6 along with the left over Dexron III. What should I do?

Heres the P/Ns for the Deron VI in case anyone else is interested

88861003 (US) DEXRON®-VI Auto Trans Fluid (1 Quart Bottle)
88861045 (US) DEXRON®-VI Auto Trans Fluid (1 Gallon Bottle)

88861045 is the part number for Gallons... They ship it in by the case, 4 gallons...
It's $10.40 per gallon, case is $51.58 which inclues $9.98 shipping. That's enough for 2 fluid changes...

Go here to order: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I was gonna put the Dextron VI fluid in my car when I did my pan drop back in January but I couldnt find anyone that would sell it to me they only had it in 50 gallon drums and not in quarts yet I guess. Ive even called some dealers and they didnt even know what it was. I guess it was just came out in December 05.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
DexronVI.jpg

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by vipermike2002@Feb 15 2006, 07:11 AM
damnnnnnnn

Are you gonna change the filter too?
[snapback]114418[/snapback]​

You always change the filter when doing a pan drop. Heres what I am wondering. I know you can mix 2 different viscosities (spell check that) when it comes to the oil in our cars with out any harm. Why couldnt you do it with Dexron III vs. Dexron VI. Its the same stuff from what I hear but more improved.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
the new VI is interchangeable with the II ...

I would still reccommend a full tranny flush... 75,000 isnt too high to have one.
Now, I never reccomend a 'power' flush using an external pump, but rather the type that uses the tranny's own fluid pump to cycle the fluid out. you won't knock anything loose with one of these any more than just driving the car.
I am sure there is more than one company that manufactures this type of system, but the one i am most familar with is mf'd by TECH
this system simply connects inline with one of the external tranny lines and as the car idles, the trans will push old fluid out, pulling new in... no high pressure to mess up the trans, or any deposits inside...

obviously you want to drop the pan and change filter first

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info