3800 screw the rockers im going cam....

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
ok so im deciding to say screw the rockers,and im getting a cam

so what cam choice should i get...i know this is a dead question...

but what i need is a some what streetable cam...but nothing weak like a vs

i saw on zzp's web site the are selling a custom cam someone ordered and never picked up..they said it was like the NIC cam but with 4deg.. less on the intake side
and said it would be easier to tune and idle better....would that be a good cam choice for my setup

or would somthing off the shelf like a xp be fine...im not intercooling the car..
id like to run the pulleys i have
a 3.1 for street and 2.9 for track....i think those will be fine for my mods
i run a 3.25 daily with out knock

so is the xp the most powerful some what streetable blower cam..or is the nic with 4deg..less on the intake
the grind for that is 216/230 .507/.507

and then what springs do i need

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Originally posted by sinr247@Jan 25 2006, 07:42 AIDS
ok so im deciding to say screw the rockers,and im getting a cam

so what cam choice should i get...i know this is a dead question...

but what i need is a some what streetable cam...but nothing weak like a vs

i saw on zzp's web site the are selling a custom cam someone ordered and never picked up..they said it was like the NIC cam but with 4deg.. less on the intake side
and said it would be easier to tune and idle better....would that be a good cam choice for my setup

or would somthing off the shelf like a xp be fine...im not intercooling the car..
id like to run the pulleys i have
a 3.1 for street and 2.9 for track....i think those will be fine for my mods
i run a 3.25 daily with out knock

so is the xp the most powerful some what streetable blower cam..or is the nic with 4deg..less on the intake
the grind for that is 216/230 .507/.507

[snapback]111627[/snapback]​
I have the same questions about the cam deal, but i am thinking of a ssic for my gtp when i get up to that power level.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
Originally posted by sinr247@Jan 25 2006, 07:42 AIDS
but nothing weak like a vs

[snapback]111627[/snapback]​

from what ive read, penty of people are running a vs w/ stock valvetrain into the 12's...however i agree if you are going to do it...go for xp.

i dont know much about the nic cam however if you are spending mods on intense tuning (not the company) and power mods like cam and alky, why totally rule out an intercooler? after the cam is done, the ic makes another savings goal, plus mid-low 12's easily...i know the alky kit is a good boost(or drop in temps) but i cant see you spending the time and money and no ic...unless you are trying to set a record of a nic car...

with the XP you need:
cam install kit
105 springs
mod'd retainers
depending on miles on the car-valve seals
also depending on miles but recommended-timing chain set including the dampener

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by syP@Jan 25 2006, 11:47 AIDS
cam....ugh

get rockers
[snapback]111654[/snapback]​

Just cause you got stuck with an immense cam, doesnt mean all cams suck. Guess Paul and Miller, JO, and everyone else with cams should be careful as well.

Plus you said it was your heads giving you KR. Well, your not gonna be that fast with fucked up parts.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
ok now teh cam install kit....what do you have to take off to put a cam in...now i have a new blower and lower intake mani ...and i have a garloc sc gasket and new intake mani gasker,and new coolant elbows..i assume i should wait to put those in right.... ...now i dont need everything in there kit...what other things do i need to order for a hassle free install..
and i have 52000 on the car do i need a chain...or valve seals

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by syP@Jan 26 2006, 12:16 AM
neg.

headers are a hit or hit situation (unless you have an exhaust leak)

even ask RON vogel... this thing pulled balls slow 2nd gear.... 5kr when it ran its best.. and ron knows how to tune.  This was PRE heads (failure)
[snapback]111665[/snapback]​

Negative.

My headers suck. So headers suck in general. Thats my stance on it.

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
....if im not mistaken, headers have better exhaust flow......and with a car that doesnt have as much power, you dont need as much flow hence NOT putting a 3" full exhaust on a GP GT because pipe is too much for the amount of exhaust comming out........?? if im wrong then i just wrote one long useless comment........

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
Originally posted by sinr247@Jan 26 2006, 07:31 AIDS
god damn post hijackers....who cares about headers... were talk cams people..a real power adder....  B)
[snapback]111750[/snapback]​

agree'd

so you are NEVER going to add an ic to the car?

with any cam install i would say get a new chain set (maybe upgrade) and you might as well do valve seals, ect... because you already have the intake off. cam i dont know much about the front cover or anything else on it, but the intake is not difficult to get off and you can get the rockers and pushrods out and then someone w/ some experience should do the actually cam swap. you'll need some shop air or something to make the springs go better...

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by itlnrob+Jan 26 2006, 11:08 AM-->
Originally posted by Fish@Jan 26 2006, 01:00 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-syP
@Jan 26 2006, 12:50 AM
FI.
[snapback]111678[/snapback]​

Headers suck for cars without a blower or turbo. I forgot. :rolleyes:
[snapback]111679[/snapback]​

really?

ls1's hate headers :lolsign:
[snapback]111694[/snapback]​
[/b]

According to syP, if it doesnt have a poweradder, it doesnt need headers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info