3800 5w 20 oil

• Thread starter imported_silverbullet
  • Start date
I

imported_silverbullet

got question on oil, on my acura tl type s on the oil cap it recommended to use 5w 20. i recently had the oil change and the shop told me they don't have that kind of oil and said it would be better if i use 10w 30 cause of the different weather and it's also also better if you drive little agressive on the car, which i don't. is that sound right? give me some feed back!

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
I believe that 10w-30 is going to be a thinner oil....so in winter it doesnt get as hot so it doesnt need to be a thicker oil which would be thinner because of the heat..........
OR B. they didnt have any and knew that the 30 would work ok....and didnt want to have to do MORE work and get ahold of 10w-20

correct me if im wrong....and i probably am! but i gave it a shot!!

5w20 is a really thick oil, used primarily when in hot driving conditions so that the oil does not get to thin and underprotect in those driving conditions.
10w30 is a good all around oil, not to thick, not too thin. and will work

HOWEVER, I would still recommend you stick with what the manufacturer recommends. read your owners manual and it will tell you if an thinner oil is acceptable in cold weather.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by 12secGTP@Dec 15 2005, 12:22 PM
5w20 is a really thick oil
[snapback]107468[/snapback]​

compared to what, oil???

if your car calls for 5w20, you may be OK with 5w30 if need be, but i'd reccomend 5w20... and what kind of shop does not have 5w20 now? ford has been using it for a number of years now, and now honda is following....

here's your difference between your 5w20 and the others

5/10=weight when cold
20/30=weight wen hot

so if you use a 10wxx rather than a 5wxx your cold oil will be 2x as 'thick' (viscous actually) and in a newer engine, you dont neccessarily want that.... especially if you still have warranty. ... different filters cant void warranty, but if you use oil that is not reccomended, then you can.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info