3800 A little project I did

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, I'm putting this up to guage some interest. Didn't want it on ClubGP yet (I seem to get copied off on there). We may produce these, although a production piece would be much nicer; I built this out of leftovers I had in the garage.

Whatcha think?

upload_439a6e40aaaa5.jpg

upload_439a6e40e1576.jpg

upload_439a6e411e8c4.jpg

upload_439a6e415abc5.jpg

I don't think I'll have a problem outperforming an 8 rib set-up with it...

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
=No belt slippage.......

a big problem for small pullies.

if I was still in the game Id try one out. Great idea Ron. Hope you guys make some good money.

is there the possibility of to much tension and ruinin the bearings?

Is it semi adjustable to increase or decrease tension? If not, id make it like that so everyone can set it perfect.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Lot's of good questions, I'm glad I put this up.

As far as the 8 rib goes, we don't offer a 8 rib. This makes a HP 6 rib system work. I think it'll be possible to keep the price down to below the 8 rib, or at least close. The 8 rib takes more HP to run, and letting the extra 2 ribs hang over the balancer has never seemed to ideal to me anyway.

As far as robbing HP, I have no idea. I think it would be minimal though. The big plus is that I won't be losing HP because the belts not slipping.

The belt is at the same tension as it was before the install. I went with an inch longer belt. The reason it grips better is simply more area on the pulley making contact with the belt now. I have both the idler and tensioner 3.5" pullies on there, and just couldn't grab enough of the pulley with them.

Making it adjustible was originally what I wanted to do, but decided to go with the KISS principle instead. It will help keep costs down, and the tensioner is already there ; so why bother? The way it's set-up now, I doubt it could be used with pulley sizes larger than 3", but that's the point when you really start having issues anyway.

I know how to make a production piece, but there is one problem. I need to triangulate the thing to keep it stiff enough. If we were to do this I need to balance the stress between the mounts I used, and that means it can only be used with certain heights of the SC, meaning for cars with IC's only. In my mind, that's OK. Since ZZP's is 2.25 tall, and ours and Intenses are 1.91" tall 1 piece can be made to fit. I don't think you can do it this way with a non-ic car, but that's rare enough that it shouldn't matter. The only other thing is a gen V retrofit. I need to see one, because I believe tha case bolts are different.

Anyway, this is a true bolt on. 3 bolts, that's it. Installs in 5 minutes or less. I'm using a factory pulley on it too, and plan on making the final bracket for it look factory too.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
when do people run into belt slip? is it the pulley size? 2.8 or smaller? is it the amount of boost? 14 lbs. or higher?

Ive run a 2.8 with 14 lbs of boost with no slip what so ever never, on a 6 rib pulley, and running a 6 rib belt on an 8 rib pulley.

Ive since grooved my pulleys for the last 3 years and never have had any slip what so ever. even with 16 lbs of boost with a 3.0 pulley on my hybrid blower.

non-slip pulleys=priceless

I

imported_Ron Vogel

If I wasn't constantly scanning the car, I would've never noticed it myself. Watching the MAF raw frequency you can see dips in the signal indicating belt slip. I can get no slip in the fist 2-3 months on a new belt, but after that it starts again. Even if you groove the pulleys they will start slipping again, since the metal is soft, and just smoothes out again. I put a lot of miles on my car, so things like this show up sooner. I average 350-400 miles a week on the thing.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Dec 10 2005, 05:35 PM
when do people run into belt slip? is it the pulley size? 2.8 or smaller? is it the amount of boost? 14 lbs. or higher?

Ive run a 2.8 with 14 lbs of boost with no slip what so ever never, on a 6 rib pulley, and running a 6 rib belt on an 8 rib pulley.

Ive since grooved my pulleys for the last 3 years and never have had any slip what so ever. even with 16 lbs of boost with a 3.0 pulley on my hybrid blower.

non-slip pulleys=priceless
[snapback]106712[/snapback]​
J/O, I'm in the same boat as you. I ran a 2.6 with no slippage at all with a 6 rib pulley. Still, others are running 3.0 pullies and getting belt slippage. I'm not sure if it's luck of the draw, belt brand, pulley style, or a combination of all three but it seems like a problem enough people run into that we can create a solution for it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info