3800 TOG's Versus SLP Headers

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
I'm wondering the difference between the SLP headers and the TOG's. As the post says, quality and flow. The SLP headers come with the headers, crossover, looks like they all pretty much bolt on whereas the the TOG's will need welding to make sure all pieces mesh. Everyone says TOG's but for the money SLP seems to be a better deal, but the bends look too sharp with the TOG's looking like a very smooth flowing design. I've got the money right now for the SLP headers, downpipe, and cat. Also anyone know if the dipstick needs bent. Doesnt look like it would. Do the TOG's come with crossover as well? Someone should do a full write-up on headers......would save me a lot of time, and I'm sure alot of other people's as well.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Togs come with the front and rear header, crossover, header bolts and a flex. SLPs come with front and rear header, crossover, and the downpipe is connected. You need to buy the SLP header install kit as well since that has your clamps for the crossover.

The SLP crossover is a slip-on type system. Which makes for easier putting the xover on. The TOG xover has to be bolted on and is a PITA to do. Plus it uses dounut gaskets to go inbetween which I hear alot of people have problems with. I give the SLPs the upper hand on this situation.

The rear SLP header is a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH to put in since the downpipe is connected. Make sure to have a piece of wood and a hammer handy. Along with jack stands to have the front of the car raised. Plus the flex on the SLP sucks ass. I give the TOGs the upper hand with installing the rear manifold alone and the better flex.

The quality.......hrm......I think the SLP headers themselves (excluding the coating) look better. They look like they were designed for a GP rather than the TOGs that look like they belong on some mutant V6/V8 engine. I give the look to SLPs.

The coating goes to TOGs. My SLPs dulled in less than a month, and I hear other owners have it happen in less time.

The price....up in the air. What is it worth to you?? You can get nickle plated TOGs for cheaper than the SLP headers and install kit. Im sure you can get a different coating for a little more than the SLPs. If I had to do it again, I probably would have bought nickle TOGs, but that is me and my situation. From what I hear, the TOGs have the best flow numbers, but IIRC the SLPs are not that far off.

Ohh, and if you get SLP headers, skip the cat. You can get a magnaflow cat for cheaper.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I liked my togs and the flex.

I upgraded and sent my tog to JET HOT for coating and they still looked damm good when I sold them even after removing and putting them on a few times.

Normal togs dont look to good after a whild so get the coating. never had a problem w leaks on mine.

HTH

I

imported_Ron Vogel

This is the dilemma. What do you really want headers for; the bling or the performance?

Gains from headers availible equate to roughly 1-3 tenths depending on your set-up. That's $800-900 for a small gain. Now, if it's for performance and your car has only minor mods don't bother yet.

There is a nice write-up on headers that (IIRC) Zoomer did about a year ago on ClubGP. Take it with a grain of salt, but there is some good info on there.

If you want a 4-6 tenth gain get an IC. At the price of headers you only need to save a few dollars more for it, and it's guaranteed to get rid of KR. Headers don't always help.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Aug 1 2005, 09:24 AM

If you want a 4-6 tenth gain get an IC. At the price of headers you only need to save a few dollars more for it, and it's guaranteed to get rid of KR. Headers don't always help.
[snapback]93776[/snapback]​

Yeah, like mine for sale! :lolsign:

Hurry though, I got 2 guys on club gp im talking to right now.

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
with an IC i also need to buy fuel rails (i dont want fuel spacers, my luck they'd pop off or sumthing stupid) and fuel rails run about 300+. so with an IC, and fuel rails, its alot of money. I as looking at devil doc's alky kit for cooling, and I plan on getting a cam. With the cam, and the smaller pulley size with the alky and cam, i figure ill just do headers. Plus with the headers, i can get the matched downpipe, which will help with KR. I'm hoping cam, alky, and headers, properly powertuned, i can go mid 12's. Also with a better trans. I do want looks too, i got a school car show comin up, that i gotta at least show up with more than normal looking manifolds. My engine looks completly stock, minus the open cone. And i just want to know whatever goes in the engine, ill get enough flow out. My grandparents spoil me a lot so nitrous isn't too far out of the question down the line. Everything im payng for, but i may get one freebie..... and can anybody around here port blowers? im not too afraid to get a dremel and do it myself, I just dont want to port too much (just port until it lines up with the engine blocks inlet?) and end up the blower blowing to pieces. Its a 98 with aprox 77746.9 miles on it. Its gonna be the college car and senior year car, so 5 more years, its gonna have time to get work done to it. I just want to get headers and get them out of the way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info