3800 BS voided waranty, anyone have any info for me?

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
ok so my dad has a 99 GTP and his oil pan is leaking, rear sway bar broke, and trans pan has a small leak.
he has an extended waranty, and an inspector came out and said nothing is covered because he has an aftermarket K&N air filter.

the contract states that they will not cover any breakdown CAUSED by and aftermarket part that affects the operation of the covered part.

any insight on this situation?

AFGuy0127

Apr 19, 2008
Well, you could always pull out the lawyer card, say you reviewed the contract and it states that damages caused by mods won't be covered, and how there's no way possible a k&n filter could do any of that... and say by the contract, what the rep said is wrong, and you will talk to a lawyer about it...

sometimes the threat of legal action will be enough, especially when the company is in the wrong. most aftermarket warranty companies take customers for fools and think they don't know anything.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
he is hoping you dont know shit.............he is full of shit with a K&N causing all the problems.......

Send and email to K&N and they should give you a good reply too..........

Meet this guy face to face and beat his ass for even suggestion somthing so dumb............k&N....puff.......

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
called today, denied.
pulled the lawyer card, was promptly refered to section J of the contract which is an agreement to arbitrate.

the sway bar supposedly was broken due to negligence, not covered.
trans pan had a loose bolt so that gasket wasnt covered.
and "the air filter causes the engine to rev up quicker and allows it to breathe better, this isnt necesarrily a bad thing but the manufacturer made the car the way it did because the added horsepower and extra throttle response may cause premature gasket wear"
i said "are you serious?"
slight delay..... "yes"
argued back and forth for an hour and got nowhere, and to top it off the inspector broke the hood strut when closing the hood- the waranty company blames the shop, the shop blames the inspector.

fun day

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by xttc2000@Jul 22 2005, 12:06 AM
called today, denied.
pulled the lawyer card, was promptly refered to section J of the contract which is an agreement to arbitrate.

the sway bar supposedly was broken due to negligence, not covered.
trans pan had a loose bolt so that gasket wasnt covered.
and "the air filter causes the engine to rev up quicker and allows it to breathe better, this isnt necesarrily a bad thing but the manufacturer made the car the way it did because the added horsepower and extra throttle response may cause premature gasket wear"
i said "are you serious?"
slight delay..... "yes"
argued back and forth for an hour and got nowhere, and to top it off the inspector broke the hood strut when closing the hood- the waranty company blames the shop, the shop blames the inspector.

fun day
[snapback]92638[/snapback]​

So now the K&N controls how fast the car revs up?? Umm, me hitting the gas makes the car rev up faster. :lolsign:

Id call a lawyer and get advise. See what he says. Im sure he will say you have a case and will stick it to the aftermarket company. Especially since this is your dads car and it is NOT modded in a sense that most of ours are.

I

itlnrob

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Jul 22 2005, 01:04 AM
K&N adds what 2-3 percent.................no reason to break warranties unless your tryihg.........

K&N has countless articles abouy this crap....its like adding an exhaust and being screwed for and trans failure......
[snapback]92648[/snapback]​

shit i had an intake manifold gasket leak and the inspector came out to look at the car, he saw my 9 inch cone and intake and still fixed it, however he did take a picture of my engine bay.

Jwood416

Apr 27, 2008
I don't see how they can do that, i looked through my extended warranty before i did anyhting and it specifically doesn't cover intake or exhaust stuff, just the powertrain. Pretty suer that a cone filter isnt par of the powertrain anyway and like everyone else says how can they prove that an extra 10 HP would cause a gasket to leak or whatever. :bsflag: :argue:

BlkJak

Regular
Jan 19, 2009
La Salle
GM issued a notice saying that ALL GM vehicles will no longer cover waranties if a car has an after market filter. Here's why:

Excessive oil from the filter can cause the intake sensor to malfunction causing the PCM to compensate incorrectly, thus causing problems primarily with the drive train (Transaxle, Transmission, motor).

So if you still have your factory intake, you should put it back in before taking it in for service.

:blink:

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by BlkJak@Aug 1 2005, 01:03 PM
GM issued a notice saying that ALL GM vehicles will no longer cover waranties if a car has an after market filter.  Here's why:

Excessive oil from the filter can cause the intake sensor to malfunction causing the PCM to compensate incorrectly, thus causing problems primarily with the drive train (Transaxle, Transmission, motor). 

So if you still have your factory intake, you should put it back in before taking it in for service.

:blink:
[snapback]93786[/snapback]​

Ive been reading into this lately and it seems that these filters are over oiled a lot after they are cleaned and they do srew up the maf etc......I guess i could see GMs point.

I hate re oiling these filters and usutally just buy a new one ever 20k miles or so.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info