3800 04 GTP Tuner

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
I asked that question before with no response. No love for us 04 owners :( (jk)

I would ASSume that other than me and you there are not any other 04's that come on here often. (oh and charles) I dont post much but I read almost every day.

I also dont have the $$ to buy a tuner but I would be willing to pay a decent amount to get some tuning done. Maybe someone will be willing to help since you know others personally and no one knows me.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by dole21@Jun 7 2005, 01:15 PM
what do you have to tune?  whats wrong with the car out of curiousity that makes ya think u need work...any mods?  (i dont' have a tuner..just wondering)
[snapback]87164[/snapback]​

My mods:

3.4 pulley, FWI w/ 9 inch K&N, ZZP motor mounts,
2.5 inch exhaust w/ flowmaster 40s, resonator delete, 9mm Taylor Wires, MSD coil packs = Waste, Autolite 104s, High Speed Fan Switch, Autometer Boost Gauge = 13-14 PSI

Hers an example, but this is to give you a rough idea

Set Power Enrichment (PE) to 12:1 (stock is 12.4:1 so this richens it up just a bit).
Subtract 1 to 2 degree of timing from the top end of the timing table to run the 3.4 'safely'...yes this will technically make you 'slower' but you won't be getting as much KR and therefore won't have to 'wait' while the PCM recovers.
I would recommend we modify your KR parameters...we can raise the recovery rate and actually make it pull more timing if it does get too much knock to protect the motor.
I strongly recommend you consider 'removing' the 'fuel' side of Tq. Mgmt. When it kicks in it sets a desired A/F ratio of 15:1 which is WAY to lean and it can shut off up to 3 injectors to do so. (Going lean on a pullied car could result in a big 'boom') You set this to your desired PE ratio and this has a nice effect of reducing the KR at the shift points due to Tq. Mgmt..(at least on my car...)
I would raise the shift points some but NOT too much..in my experience you won't gain what you think and you'll just run in to more KR unless you do 1.9 rockers/springs. The DHP PCM's that were coming out were having issues hitting the rev limiter. You could also overrun your MAF when the weather gets colder and I know you wouldn't like the result of that and you won't have any way to change it.
Change the desired shift time (lessen it)...I would recommend keeping most of the Spark Tq. Mgmt. in your car to protect the tranny but that is entirely your call. I keep lots of it in my tune as I'd like my tranny to stay healthy. You can consider some other tranny parameters such as line pressure modifications but I wouldn't do anything drastic here.
Fans are a no brainer!
I also recommend we change the boost ramp rate. This modifies the rate at which the boost will engage (sort of like the old boost bypass mod) since it's controlled by the PCM and while I don't know if it actually makes the car 'faster' it greatly increases throttle response so it 'feels' faster.

This was from a guy that has an 04 and a tuner out of state, but I dont think he wants anything to do with my car. I dont blame him

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Regardless of who knows Charles, it's just a matter of buying the PCMs guys. :)

DHP V 1.0 PCMs are available for the 04's and you would end up paying the full price whether Charles tunes it for you (no time anyhow) or you get it through a retailer.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Originally posted by Mike K@Jun 7 2005, 02:02 PM

DHP V 1.0 PCMs are available for the 04's and you would end up paying the full price whether Charles tunes it for you (no time anyhow) or you get it through a retailer.
[snapback]87181[/snapback]​

Im just looking for someone/anyone who can help with out having to pay the full amount of the actual product which I cannot affort at this time. I wasnt directing this towards charles or any vendor. If no one can than hey oh well. Just worth asking! :unsure:

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by Mike K@Jun 7 2005, 02:02 PM

[snapback]87181[/snapback]​

Dont remember but, can I send my stock PCM for adjustments? I dont live that far from Charles, or at least I am closer than most. Is that possible?

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
PowrTuners limits you to the year of the vehicle that you can tune not VIN #. My suggestion to the '04 owners is to save up and purchase the PowrTuners, you will get the DHP v1.5 (fully edited bin file) and then the idnefinite opportunity to edit your pcm with your PowrTuner. It is well worth the cost and convenience!

If it is out of your price range then just purchase the standard DHP for your '04 from here: W-Body Store - DHP PCM v1.0

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by syP@Jun 13 2005, 11:14 AM
awww... cmon mike... you dont like hanging with me on the topend???

now with this tuned you will prolly beat me :)
[snapback]87769[/snapback]​

I hear ya man. Either you car is great up top or my car is real sluggish right now. What time did you wind up leaving Schaumburg? I tried looking for you after we spit, but I had no luck. I went down to Stratford. Man was it hoppin over there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info