3800 I just blew my engine I think?

E

espawnm

I have a 2000 pontiac GTP. the only mods is a 3.4 pulley. Cat delete, ubend delete. resonator delete. I was racing a camaro last night when my car started shaking and cut off. I took it to a mechanic and he scanned the pcm. He told me the puter says that there is a misfire in cylinders 2,4,6. He removed the plugs and found the tips broken off. The car is also blowing blue smoke out the tailpipes.(which I think means its burning oil) The mechanic replaced the plugs but the car stayed the same. He believes that the valves may have gotten bent. He did a compression check on the cylinders that were misfiring, and it registered very low compression. He wants $900 to remove the heads and make sure that it is the cylinder heads. Does this sound resonable? Any advice would be gladly accepted. Thanks :(

I

imported_Ron Vogel

You'd save yourself some money by checking the cylinders with a boroscope. Sounds like you've got some chunked pistons. If that's the case, it's be cheaper to replace the block/heads, then sell your old heads if you can find a longblock inexpensively. Most of the time it's better to just replace than rebuild, less problems...less money overall.

E

espawnm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found a good deal on a NEW GM replacement block complete with heads. The block is a series 2 3800 for a 98. I have a 2000 GTP. Will this block work for a replacement. Is a non supercharged and a supercharged engine block the same? I hope so cause this block is sweet. Thanks once again

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Originally posted by GTPPWR@May 19 2005, 04:43 PM
the blocks are the same, just different pistons.  Make sure you change out the pistons back to GTP style.  If you keep the high compression pistons in there......dont boost a lot.
[snapback]84600[/snapback]​

This is only semi-correct. the block is the same, but the heads, intake manifold, pistons and i think the connecting rods, are different. You will need your GTP intake/SC and L67 heads to use the block. You will also want to replace the connecting rods and pistons for the reasons that GTPPWR mentioned. You could run with the L32 internals, but the compression will be higher, so you'll have to run a smaller pulley to stay safe.

It might be easier to replace the engine with an L67. If you need a set of heads though I have some sitting in my garage.

BC

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by GTPPWR@May 19 2005, 04:43 PM
the blocks are the same, just different pistons.  Make sure you change out the pistons back to GTP style.  If you keep the high compression pistons in there......dont boost a lot.
[snapback]84600[/snapback]​

If he replaces pistons doesn't he at least have to do a cross-hatch hone on the bore? Or (provided the bores aren't scored) can he just pop in a new piston and be done?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info