3800 yrs99-00 = most piston poppers?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I am quoting a member (Hellfish) of RegalGS.org..

Some have noted that alot of 2000 cars popped pistons...

From what we've discussed in Dan's instance we've discovered this...

From 99-2000 they changed the tempreature at which the computer starts listening for knock from about 104* to 163*, and then again to 104* in 01.

Dan (HIPSIGS) was running a 160* tstat and was hardely ever getting up in to the knock reading territory. He was getting 0 knock when it happend to...

So if any one is running a 2k with stock pcm and 160* tstat, I would say put the 180* if you get a chance. Or a DHP.

I wonder how many of the 2000 piston killers were running a 160 and stock pcm.

Does any of the aftermarket pcms change the degree at which the computer starts listening for knock? Is that even an option? I dont know much about our knock sensors. This just sparked my curiosity (sp)

-Nick

00 GTP Debadged

Regular
Dec 27, 2008
I just pulled up my bin file and it is set to disable the knock sensor until the engine temp reaches 163 degrees. I had no idea. I just got the powrtuner and before that was running the 98 base dhp 1.0. I am glad I haven't ran the car that hard since programming it. I have since changed it back to 104.

Randy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info