3800 Synthetic, finally

Krobar2

Regular
Jan 9, 2008
Lindenhurst
Originally posted by evastos@Apr 29 2005, 08:50 PM
I was up for a oil change so I decided to just go synthetic already and get it over with. So far I'm getting a bit over 1 MPG in better gas mileage and the engine sounds alot smother. Has anyone else gone Synthetic?
[snapback]81693[/snapback]​

Not yet but i've been told to go synthetic, at 77k miles now :unsure:

Dave

2000gtp

Regular
Feb 17, 2008
Omaha,NE
Originally posted by iliveonnitro@Apr 30 2005, 10:34 AM
I'm running royal purple synthetic.  Only one more time though, cause im demodding in june (fucking day pushed back)...then im going back to regular crap.
[snapback]81763[/snapback]​

from what ive heard once you go fully synthetic you cannot go back to the old crap because synthetic has some kind of different properties....

AFGuy0127

Apr 19, 2008
I don't think that's the case, I think you can switch back... just have to flush out the oil system. I had a lexus that was running synthetic for a while, but we started putting regular dino oil back in it because it had some pretty bad oil leaks, didn't want to waste the money with synthetic. Didn't have any issues with it other than the leaks lol.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I have been putting Mobil 1 10W30 in my gt for the past 3 oil changes and i got 88000 miles on it now. The last time i did it i used the extended performance stuff and it says it is good for 15000 mile but i dont think i will let it go that far, it seems kinda risky.

Originally posted by AFGuy0127@Apr 30 2005, 01:15 PM
I don't think that's the case, I think you can switch back... just have to flush out the oil system. I had a lexus that was running synthetic for a while, but we started putting regular dino oil back in it because it had some pretty bad oil leaks, didn't want to waste the money with synthetic. Didn't have any issues with it other than the leaks lol.
[snapback]81775[/snapback]​
no no no!!! you CANNOT go back to regular oil after using synthetic oil. do not attempt it either. the formulations of the oils are very different. if you did it and got away with it, you got lucky. the idea of getting better gas mileage from using synthetic seems promising. $5 per quart is pretty stiff

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Originally posted by preussenGTP@Apr 30 2005, 04:15 PM
no no no!!! you CANNOT go back to regular oil after using synthetic oil. do not attempt it either. the formulations of the oils are very different. if you did it and got away with it, you got lucky.  the idea of getting better gas mileage from using synthetic seems promising. $5 per quart is pretty stiff
[snapback]81787[/snapback]​

I've done it once. :rolleyes: I was using mobile, then Amsoil, then back to mobile, and now between royal purple and mobile1 when they run out at pepboys.
I guess i'm one of those lucky ones. :D

F

fastcash

i buy mobil 1 10w-30 (3) and 15w-50 (2) at Target for 3.22 @ quart. After the oil change i have a half quart of 10w-30. My car runs like a champ. i also have Royal Purple in the coolant, with a 65% water 30% dex-cool, and 5% Royal Purple synthetic additive. My motor is like ice ;)

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by preussenGTP+Apr 30 2005, 04:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-AFGuy0127
@Apr 30 2005, 01:15 PM
[snapback]81775[/snapback]​
no no no!!! you CANNOT go back to regular oil after using synthetic oil. do not attempt it either. the formulations of the oils are very different. if you did it and got away with it, you got lucky. the idea of getting better gas mileage from using synthetic seems promising. $5 per quart is pretty stiff
[snapback]81787[/snapback]​
[/b]

so what exactly happens if you do??????????

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Apr 30 2005, 10:22 PM

so what exactly happens if you do??????????
[snapback]81806[/snapback]​
all i know is that you arent supposed to mix the two..its one or the other. why dont you conduct a "Myth-Busters" style test on your own GP and clue us in exactly what will happen after catastrophic failure. that will provide us with a definate answer

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Hate to break the news but back in the day I ran synthetic for around 12k miles..........maybe 4 oil changes..............

I now run dino oil changed at 3k miles inervals...........

i know run way more HP/TQ and beat the shit out of my car more then ever......................................this is like 15k miles latter.........

Still waiting for those side effects........... :blink: :blink: :blink:

Only thing I have notice is that SYN finds ways to leak better.........But every gasket on my block has been replaced in the last 2 years so it doesnt matter anymore

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Originally posted by fastcash420@Apr 30 2005, 10:43 PM
i heard it isn't that much of a problem the idea is that the synthetic fills in those holes that conventional oil would make its way through. the synthetic  sort of heals it
[snapback]81821[/snapback]​

Other way around. Synthetic is thinner than conventional, which is why high mileage cars are not recommended to switch to synthetic...because leaks will spring.

As long as the oil is completely flushed out of the motor (I'm going back to conventional when I do my cam swap back to stock), it should be fine.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

It's supposed to cause premature bearing failure when you switch. It might be an old wive's tale, or paranoid suspicion. IDK, I just keep using the synthetic.

Mobil 1 is the best off the shelf oil, redline and Amsoil are as good or better.
I run Royal purple in the bike, because Mobil1 is too slick to get on the trans clutches. Royal purple is OK, but expensive for what it is.

00gtp83

Regular
Jan 26, 2008
it depends on how many miles you have on you car stacey , it really does but the way i look at it synthetic is great stuff and it is true once you switch to it you shouldnt go back you are making a commitment, but the miles matter only because your gaskets might be getting old and might tend to leak more then a lower milage car, but this would not prevent me from switching because if you plan on keeping your car it is a good investment and those leaks are going to happen anyway.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info