3800 pontiac 3 way.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
So i was driving with my buddy to the walmart in darien on 75th.

where woodward ave and 75th meet (by 355) its 3 lanes.

the light was red at woodward and 75th, so i hopped over to the far right lane.

i notice a t/a in the far left lane, and a sunfire in the middle.

as the light is getting close to changning the sunfire keeps creeping up, so as soon as its green I go pretty hard, which is funny because the sunfire and the t/a actually were racing!

i immediatley pulled on the sunfire and swung over into the middle lane, where i continued to put lengths on the t/a.

it was funny the guy gave me props though and said he didnt even know i was over there till he was already getting a nice veiw of my taillights.

stock lt1s donts impress me.

I

itlnrob

Lt1's are a low 14 and some can hit a high 13 stock.

Although most are a 14 second car.

Exhaust and intake help out a little, but what this guy told me at the track on Saturday who had a 97 Ws6 Formula, that as soon as he changed to an MSD ignition system his car reacted a lot better cause he said the stock ignition system works poorly in lt1's.

His best time on Nitto's was a 13.4.

He also had headers, plugs and wires, ignition, cat back, k and n filter for ram air and i believe that was it.

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
The LS1 is an aluminum block, as compared to the LT1's iron block. There are differences in a number of the parts of the engine, they are just made differently.

The LT-1 was first used in corvettes in 1992 and F-body in 1993. It shares most of its dimensions with small-blocks from years before. It has a reverse flow coolant system.

The LS-1 came out in the '97 vette. It is a whole new engine from the ground up. It is similar to y-block engines. The main bearings are bolted by four in the bottom and two on the sides. No parts will interchange with the two engines. GM decided to keep a pushrod style engine, but they made a whole new one. Camaros and firebirds have aluminum blocks LS-1's vettes have aluminum. The actual displacement of the LS-1 is slightly less than 350. But it is still rounded to 5.7 L. The motor was developed special alongside the new corvette. It had to pump oil in a 1g skid pad test. It holds more oil. The crank is drilled out for weight. It is pretty tricky stuff. The best in pushrod technology

lt1s are kinda the bitch engine, the reason why is cause small block chevys are popular for interchangability, the fact that the lt1 has reverse cooling and differnt heads and intake bolt pattern makes it harder to fool with. it has the dreadful optispark ignition that most people complain about as well. ls1s and older small block chevys have more advantages

1997-XX GEN III LS1

The Corvette aluminum block LS1 345HP(5600RPM) / 350lbs-ft(4400RPM) of torque is the 3rd generation small block. The engine features cross bolted (6 bolt) main bearing caps, aluminum cylinder heads (10.1:1 CR), a hollow hydraulic roller cam, 3.9"bore x 3.62 stroke, tuned composite intake, individual ignition coils for each cylinder and a roller timimg chain. FIS has harnesses and calibrations available for these engines for any retrofit application.

The 98 plus F-Body cars have a LS1 engine option, this engine is almost identical to the Corvette but is rated 305HP at 5200 RPM and 335 lbs ft Torque at 4400. The engines are identicle with the exception of Accessory mounting and emissions components. A forced air package on the F-Body cars increases this rating.

LT1 ENGINES
GM's Generation II LT1 engine was introduced in 1992 and first appeared in the 92 Corvette. This engine incorporates a number of innovations not previously seen with the quite popular small block V8. Among these are Optical Spark Control (OPTI-SPARK) and a gear driven water pump. The distributor has been relocated to the front of the engine and the watflow has been reversed as compared to the original small block V8 introduced in 1955.
The drivetrain for 92 included the familiar 700 R4 automatic. The ECM looked identicle to its predecessor, but actually was quite different. The LT1 engine uses an optical spark control system. The distributor incorporates a disc with 360 small holes through which a beam of light is passed, generating electronic pulses. These pulses are counted by the ECM which then fires the spark plugs with much greater accuracy. Base timing is preset when the distributor is installed. Spark advance is controlled by the ECM which monitors the distributor and other engine sensors to determine optimum timing parameters for all load conditions. The information exchanged between the ECM and distributor are not compatible with the earlier HEI magnetic style pickup distributors.

Some of the engine parts can be interchanged with the earlier small block. Among these are the camshaft (92-94 only), the 95 cam has a steel pin which drives the water pump instead of the 92-93 gear drive. The pistons, piston rods, oil pump, crankcase, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, rear oil seal, flywheel and valve train components are interchangeable. The block, heads, timing cover, water pump, timing gears and intake manifolds are not. Accessory mountings such as power steering pump, alternator, AC compressor and harmonic balancer cannot be interchanged. The A.I.R. compressor for emissions is now an electric air pump. The harmonic balancer is a two piece assembly and is the same on the Camaro, Pontiac, Caprice, but different on the Corvette.

There are also some differences between engines in the Corvette, F Body cars, and the Caprice. The Corvette has 4 bolt mains and cast pushrod guides in the aluminum heads. The F Body cars and Caprice have 2 bolt mains. The F Body cars have aluminum heads and the Caprice has cast iron heads.

As you can see the engines, while similar, are quite different than the original SB V8. If you are planning to install a LT1 engine in an earlier model Chevrolet you will find that it will bolt into place with the same engine mounting and that it will also bolt up to any transmission built for a small block V8. Be prepared to change all accessory mounts and accessories ie., AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump, related pulleys and belt tensioning components.

1994 LT1

In 1994 GM introduced sequential port injection for the small block V8. While the engine is essentially the same, GM replaced the "plug in" EPROM "CHIP" with Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM). You can no longer install a performance chip in these computers which are now referred to as Powertrain Control Modules or (PCM). These PCM's also electronically control the transmission in addition to engine fuel management functions. The Mass Air Flow Sensor is back in 94. The LT1 also has a MAP sensor. This setup should enhance engine performance significantly. There are also a number of subtle changes which complicate engine swaps. With the new electronic transmissions, the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is now a Hall effect transfuse which has replaced the pulse generator used in the earlier models.

The new electronic automatic transmissions control shift points (RPM related), hydraulic pressures (firmness of shift). The 95 4L60E incorporates a pulse width modulated signal to control the lockup of the torque converter (seamless transitions).

1995 LT1

The 95 LT1 now has a vent on the distributor to minimize the possibility of condensation forming inside the distributor as a result of a cold water splash, due to its new location in front of the engine. The water pump is now driven by a dowel pin fitted to the front of the cam shaft. The distributor has a modified electrical connector and will not plug into an earlier harness.

Engine specs:

http://shbox.com/1/engine_specs.jpg

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/50638/
Hot rod mag did a comparison

http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/lt1_engine...er_torque_specs

http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/ls1_specifications

all this info was off many other boards.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info