3800 my f***en rant

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
[rant]
Ok, ive been nice and calm up to now.

I am fucken pissed off.

Im sure many of you have noticed my sig? (if not, i just changed it today)

A while ago, maybe 20 days ago, My car was fine, except for KR. I got a bran new rebuilt racing transmission and i was good to go. Driving to school one day, I pass a car because she is going slow (me at WOT). WHen i let off the gas, everything started to shake and the revs would go real low, and the car acted all lumpy. I thought "oh well, it will just cool off at school and be fine when i come out to go home" NEGATIVE, same thing happens.

I post it up on here, there are some suggestions. Zack comes over and tears apart my engine just down to the Rockers with me. We see nothing wrong with the rockers as they are torqued down correctly. So we put the engine back together, or the valve covers should i say. Start up the car, same problem. This time, cylinder 5 is misfiring. Pull out the plug, black and gapped at 0 ZERO! Me and zack are like WTF?

I call up Gearheads in Glen Ellyn, just so they can tell me what the problem is. I wanted to bring it back to my house then and work on it with some friends, and install a cam while im at it. That sorry ass shop is closed on weekends, and on new years eve. Every time i call them they say they are still workin on it, becuase it takes so long to get to the cam. They told me that 3 pushrods were scored (dmged but still usable) and they believe i had a collapsed lifter?!? So i cant talk to them until monday, WHICH IS WHEN I GOT TO GO TO SCHOOL. They charged $70 an hour to look/work on my car. Tearing it down to the cam takes about 12 hours.... and that is a lot of money.

Im kinda contemplating on asking them just to send me back the car and to part it out and save up some more money for a used car. Im getting sick and tired of the never ending problems.

I was 2 days away from my car getting tuned by Ron Vogel. The weekend before i went to his house for him to tune me with his dhp powertuner and to isntall the RVTB i bought. He wasnt ready for me so he asked if i could wait another week. Then my problem occrued on the thursday. 2 days away :(.

I dont know what to do.

[/rant]

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by syP@Jan 1 2005, 10:32 PM
[rant]
Ok, ive been nice and calm up to now.

I am fucken pissed off.

Im sure many of you have noticed my sig?  (if not, i just changed it today)

A while ago, maybe 20 days ago, My car was fine, except for KR.  I got a bran new rebuilt racing transmission and i was good to go.  Driving to school one day, I pass a car because she is going slow (me at WOT).  WHen i let off the gas, everything started to shake and the revs would go real low, and the car acted all lumpy.  I thought "oh well, it will just cool off at school and be fine when i come out to go home"  NEGATIVE, same thing happens. 

I post it up on here, there are some suggestions.  Zack comes over and tears apart my engine just down to the Rockers with me.  We see nothing wrong with the rockers as they are torqued down correctly.  So we put the engine back together, or the valve covers should i say.  Start up the car, same problem.  This time, cylinder 5 is misfiring.  Pull out the plug, black and gapped at 0 ZERO!  Me and zack are like WTF? 

I call up Gearheads in Glen Ellyn, just so they can tell me what the problem is.  I wanted to bring it back to my house then and work on it with some friends, and install a cam while im at it.  That sorry ass shop is closed on weekends, and on new years eve.  Every time i call them they say they are still workin on it, becuase it takes so long to get to the cam.  They told me that 3 pushrods were scored (dmged but still usable) and they believe i had a collapsed lifter?!?  So i cant talk to them until monday, WHICH IS WHEN I GOT TO GO TO SCHOOL.  They charged $70 an hour to look/work on my car.  Tearing it down to the cam takes about 12 hours.... and that is a lot of money. 

Im kinda contemplating on asking them just to send me back the car and to part it out and save up some more money for a used car.  Im getting sick and tired of the never ending problems.

I was 2 days away from my car getting tuned by Ron Vogel.  The weekend before i went to his house for him to tune me with his dhp powertuner and to isntall the RVTB i bought.  He wasnt ready for me so he asked if i could wait another week.  Then my problem occrued on the thursday.  2 days away :(.

I dont know what to do.

[/rant]
[snapback]66022[/snapback]​

Bluntness ahead...

You're modding a car. You're in school. College kids generally lack money. Modded cars break. Sell the car and drive a Civic until you're a rich exec or stop modding it.

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
Have to agree with other guys ....

These cars are not known for great longevity when getting aggressive.

Combined that with being in college and it being your ONLY car, that is a bad combination.

(sorry little story time)
When I was in school I had a POS 1984 Monte Carlo. It broke down almost once a week. I was fixing this thing everywhere.. parking lots... side of the road...in my dad's garage... I alwasy hung on though thinking well I'll make it with $xxx.xx more in fixes... turned out I had spent so much in time and moeny that I could have made the payments on a new car... I finally gave up and just got a cheap new car wit ha 6/60,000 warranty. When I got to 59,999 and was graduating, I then bought another new car (grand prix) and kept the beater.
(end story)

Get it fixed back to stock and resist the urge to mod until you could at least afford a decent beater car as a backup. Working on your car is FUN when its something you want to be doing. Working on your car (or paying to get it worked on) when you absolutely have to have it to get somewhere = no fun.

BTW, I'm really shocked that you couldn't find anyone on the club who could have taken a closer look at your engine. $70/hr is pretty significant. 16*70 = $1,120. I'd almost think you could have called morad and grabbed an 04 shortblock for that type of dough.. (maybe a full engine ! )

I hope the car gets fixed soon 1

GTPHales-Wife

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Plano, IL
Have to agree also with everyone else......people made fun of hale for how often his car was broken down....all because of the modding he was doing to it.....Now it only has a very few small mods on it and the car works great! Been working since the end of September. This is the first time really since I have been with hale that the car has been working in the winter (well maybe second year ;) ).

I

imported_Theautoguy

Syp, everyone's right, but...everyone's done what you've done. You have only one car and more time than money, or little of both with school. When I started my Associates Degree I had a really nice gen-1 RX-7 that I kept blowing engines in. I finally searched and saved enough to find a deal on a dependable, easy to maintain beater. In a perfect world you'll learn from other's mistakes but that's not how I learned with cars and I wouldn't expect you to learn this from others either. As a matter of fact, it was because of the lack of money that I learned to work on cars and eventually got paid by friends to work on thier cars. Keep the GP but expect to pay to play. My suggestion is to look for a year around beater as a back-up vehicle.

Eventually this will bring about another problem as it has with me. My year around second vehicle is my 93' Lightning and the good fast car is the Regal GS. The problem is that both vehicles are in great shape and cool, it's become difficult to figure out which one I like better.

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
BTW, I'm really shocked that you couldn't find anyone on the club who could have taken a closer look at your engine. $70/hr is pretty significant. 16*70 = $1,120. I'd almost think you could have called morad and grabbed an 04 shortblock for that type of dough.. (maybe a full engine ! )
Yup, i have a full motor, oil pan to throttle body and everything in between sitting in my garage that I got from Ed a couple weeks ago and I paid less than that.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
so they have ripped off the sc and the intake manifold? To check the lifter? Most likel the cylinder that has the plug gapped at 0 has a chunk of piston missing. I'm not totally sure what all your car was doing to diagnose more then that. I remember your post about it crapping out but don't remember what happened.

S

sr71_rgl

Scored push rods aren't a big deal and will not cause your motor to die like it did. Why in the hell would you take your car to GearHeads when there's at least 3 guys on this board that know the L67 better and work for 1/3 the cost??? I remember your original thread and it was loaded with good advice from people who've already been through what you're going through now. The fact you chose your own fix instead of one provided by the experienced people on this board is mind boggling, but hey you said you had a back up car so I guess you have the loot to have GearHeads take their sweet time learning how the L67 works. Like it's already been said just part that thing out and drive your daily driver so you can get to school and back. Having a hot rod at your age isn't a real high priority when you can't afford to fix it or work on it. GL

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
yeah, the more you mod the less reliable it is.....

Im actually starting to worry about the amount of $$$$ in my car, milage, etc, etc....

I know my motors will go soon...i gota finda a back up car. If I was in college with 0 dollars...not sure if I would have taken in this far...

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by GTPHales-Wife@Jan 2 2005, 09:55 AM
Have to agree also with everyone else......people made fun of hale for how often his car was broken down....all because of the modding he was doing to it.....Now it only has a very few small mods on it and the car works great!  Been working since the end of September.  This is the first time really since I have been with hale that the car has been working in the winter (well maybe second year ;) ).
[snapback]66037[/snapback]​

Your nice. My wife doesnt even know what I got into this thing total and shes ready for a lawyer.. :lolsign:

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by GTPHales-Wife@Jan 3 2005, 09:01 PM
Why do you think he married me.......... :lolsign:
[snapback]66211[/snapback]​

That lucky bastard.... :lol: I trying but failed to this point to get her into cars. I turned her into a football junky so theres hope.

Its not that bad though. Gears and beers....Im right in the garage if you need me honey. Im such a tool...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info