3800 WOW.....Check this out.

:eek: whered that missing piece go??

sparkplugs.jpg

antpearl

Regular
Nov 21, 2008
Palatine
Originally posted by zeez gtp+Oct 12 2004, 05:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zeez gtp @ Oct 12 2004, 05:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-alexgtp@Oct 12 2004, 04:34 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
are those platinum plugs?

Those are a no-no in SC applications..!!

Shame on you!!

interesting, did not know that [/b][/quote]
...really...I didn't know this either. Please elaborate.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
platinum plugs are a huge no-no with any forced induction or nitrous aplications.

the platinum tip runs hotter to keep itself clean . high temperatures in forced induction engines cause premature detonation and misfires under boost.

the ground strap being blown off as pictured is caused by detonation, the tip probobly got too hot and ignited the mixture while the piston was still being forced up mechanically. the piston rattles from side to side when this happens. The resulting shock wave causes an audible pinging sound- detonation.
The spark plug is damaged by the elevated temperatures and the accompanying shock wave.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Yeah I always heard platnium plugs are bad for boosted motors.

For boosted cars copper or iridium are the way to go (or so I'm told).

One of my friends with a talon told me denso iridiums are what most fast import people with boosted engines use, and considering how quick his talon is next time I buy plugs thats what I'm going to get. Not saying the plugs are the reason but supposedly they are built for boosted motors. I personaly dont really have any personal experience with these considering I've only had this car for like 5 months. But thats what I'm going to try next time. thrasher sells these btw.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info