3800 I'm getting hi-speed internet...have questions

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Its gonna be through comcast as its the only thing available where I live. I'm getting my new work to pay for 1/2 of it.

1. I was told its setup like this.

It runs out of your cable jack in your wall from you're existing cable tv jack. Then runs to a cable modem, and out from the cable modem in the way of a RJ45 cable or phone line to my computer. Is this correct?

Question 2. Can I buy my own cable modem? or do I HAVE to rent the one from them each month. If i can buy my own, any recommendations.

3. I know you need a router to use more than 1 computer on cable, so any recommendations for routers?

Sorry for the questions, but I know nothing and have been trying to get this for about 2 years now and I have the option to finally do it.

Thanks!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Yes, it goes from the wall, to the modem, to the computer. You will need a network card to have a RJ45 cable work unless you use a USB connector.

You can purchase your own cable modem instead of renting one.

Some say Linksys is good, I am running a netgear wireless router with 0 problems.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
ok... thanks for the info.

any recommendations on the network cards?

basically, I just want to install all this stuff myself as well, so the installation cost is minimal.

A co-worker just got his installed for over $400 from comcast. they had to hook everything up, and he had nothing. So i'm just trying to avoid some of that.

and you're av is killing me, lol

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Originally posted by dole21@Sep 7 2004, 11:01 PM
It runs out of your cable jack in your wall from you're existing cable tv jack. Then runs to a cable modem, and out from the cable modem in the way of a RJ45 cable or phone line to my computer. Is this correct?

They dont use an existing one, they will have to make you a new one thats what they did on mine. Unless they grab it from outside?

MrT

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Lombard, IL ....USA Baby
Originally posted by mybluegtp+Sep 8 2004, 09:18 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mybluegtp @ Sep 8 2004, 09:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dole21@Sep 7 2004, 11:01 PM
It runs out of your cable jack in your wall from you're existing cable tv jack.  Then runs to a cable modem, and out from the cable modem in the way of a RJ45 cable or phone line to my computer.  Is this correct?

They dont use an existing one, they will have to make you a new one thats what they did on mine. Unless they grab it from outside? [/b][/quote]
i agree with alfredo. i installed my own jack. they ran a special tthru-splitter from the incoming cable line. the one for the internet access is VERY sensative to splits and static. HTH

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info