3800 Network Question

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I bought a 8 port Linksys 10/100 Mbps SWITCH for my network. I currently have a cable modem hooked up to a 4 port Linksys Router with VPN endpoint. That also works as a switch. So i got the cable hooked to the router. Lan cord from router going down to a wall jack in my basement. From the wall jack i use a LAN cord to connect my 8 port switch to network my copmuters and my xbox. The internet works fine on all the things hooked up to the switch. After a long day, when i come home from whatever, i go on my computer which is hooked up to the switch and it says "Internet Connection Lost" on AIM. nothing internet related will work on either of my pc's. So i have to unplug the switch (power cord) and plug it back in. within 15 seconds the internet works again. Why does it essentially "turn off" even tho there is still poweR? I thought it was a hardware issue, so i got another 8 port switch, older linksys model, but same outcome. I know i can prolly just go with a 8 port HUB, but i want to switches speed. A friend of mine has DSL, and he is just hooked on with a switch and his internet never shuts off. Can it be a conflict with the ROUTER connecting to a SWITCH?

Any help would be great.

Thanks alot
Ryan

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
The switch he has is probably unmanaged, he probably wont be able to assign it an IP address. Syp what is the model number of your switch?

Are your client PC's windows 2000/XP? When the connection goes down what is the status of the Local Area Connection? Does it still show you as connected? Does it say disconnected? Can you ping any other PC's that are connected to the switch? What about on the switch end? Are you getting link lights on the switch when the problem occurs?

You might want to try to bypass the jack and try to run cable directly from the switch to the router , to test and see if that might be the problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info