3800 Computer

I

imported_GraFFix

All defrag does is organize your files and gets rid of blank spaces on your hard drive it shouldnt ever delete anything....actually I will not delete anything. At least Ive never heard that defrag will delete any files...

Defragmenting of your hard drive does the following....

This is a simple explaination of what

this is a new hard drive (where all your files are stored)

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

See how there all nice and neat

this is what it looks like after you install stuff, uninstall stuff Save files and just plain work on your computer.

||||||||||||| || | ||||||||| || |||||||||||| || |||||||||||||

now there are empty spots on your hard drive...but when you try to open a file your computer is going to search your hard drive for that file..it has to go thru everything to find it...even the dead areas...which in turn can slow down your computer somewhat.

After a Defrag it will be back to new and everything will be organized and will open faster...etc

a few things about defragging your computer....

its going to take some time and you cannot work on the computer while it is defragging....do it overnite

make sure nothing is running...no programs, Chat programs, turn off your screensaver....etc

start it at night turn off the monitor and go to sleep...when you wake up it should be done. Unless its been a while since it has been defragged or you have a huge hard drive then it will take a little longer. expect at least 4-8 hours for it to finish...depending on the computer of course.

I

imported_GraFFix

what operating system are you running stacey?

WIN98? WINME? XP?

let me know ill tell you how to do it...I would check for Spyware and viruses first though.

Spybot and Ad-aware can help you with spyware (google it)

Nortons or Mcafree antivirus will help you with the viruses

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
go to control panel (start -> settings -> Control panel)

Go to Administrative tools and then select Computer Management... under "Storage" is disk defragmenter

if you have the stupid windows XP new style theme going then

Go to Control panel, select performance and maintenance then select administrative tools and computer management

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Intel... need i say more?? Every single intel i have encountered bogs down after a few months.. NEVEr in my life has it been this way with AMD.

Also, to make things boot up faster, get rid of the applications that you do not need at the begining...

Start>run>msconfig>Services click Hide all Microsoft Services, Then uncheck all the listed.

www.tweakxp.com for more details. <--- helped me out alot.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Originally posted by syP@Mar 25 2004, 07:04 PM
Intel... need i say more?? Every single intel i have encountered bogs down after a few months.. NEVEr in my life has it been this way with AMD.

Also, to make things boot up faster, get rid of the applications that you do not need at the begining...

Start>run>msconfig>Services click Hide all Microsoft Services, Then uncheck all the listed.

www.tweakxp.com for more details. <--- helped me out alot.
would that work for windows 98?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info