South Carolina
My parents have a gateway computer.

Its a pentium 4.

They need more memory.

They got a price off of gateway.com

for

256MB RAM PC2100 DDR 266

@$79.99

I don't know much about that type of memory as my computer has PC100 in it right now.

Is that overpriced?(I'm sure it is) Wheres a good place to get stuff or a good price for that amount of memory?

Thanks for the help everyone

Robert

I

imported_GraFFix

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
thanks for the info.

I have another question then,

what is the difference in types?

mine is pc 100 or pc 133 for my celeron 667 processor at home

gateway showed PC2100 DDR 266

and Joe gave me these PC3200 DDR 400mhz

so what does all those numbers mean? LOL sorry, just have never really looked into it before. I just went and bought mine at circuit city 3 years ago when I wanted more memory

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
basically how fast you can write to the memory...

Basically even if your computer is 667 mhz it can only perform internal calculations at that speed... when it goes out on the bus (think of it as a bunch of roads) it can only send data at 100mhz (though 667 celeron is 66mhz front side bus I believe)

PC 100 can be accessed at 100mhz ... PC133 133Mhz, newer processors are capable of accessing the memory at much higher speeds than older processors... so you need memory that can match that speed...

(this is basic explanation... is actually more complex w/the way it works but should give you the idea)

Ideally you want to match the memory speed to the FSB (Front Side Bus) speed of the processor

I

imported_GraFFix

Kind of busy here but ill try to explain quick...

PC100 or PC133 is called SDRAM

the 100 or 133 stands for the speed the RAM can run
that is decided by your Motherboard and what FSB (Front side BUS) it is able to run. Think of FSB as a highway for your computer with a speed limit. it might be limited to 100mhz or 133mhz if you try to run 133 on a mobo that only supports 100 then your RAM will only be able to get up to 100mhz but if your mobo is able to run at 133 FSB you can run both 100 and 133...

The MB you always see (IE 128-256-512MB) is the size of the RAM and the PC100 or PC133 is the speed that it will run at.

DDR Ram is a Double Data Rate RAM and it can run at much higher FSB speeds to match todays higher end systems.

the same theory applies to the speeds..your MOBO has to be able to support the speed of the ram for you to get the full performance out of it.

and again the same thing applies to the numbers...

The MB will be the size of the ram and the PC3200 400 would be the speed that it can run at...the 400 being the FSB speed..

Sorry this is a half assed explaination..If no one else corrects my errors I will later when i get home..lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• D
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list