Need to replace wheel bearing

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Ive had an ABS light on for years now on my 2001 GTP, and about 5K ago I had one front bearing replaced and the other seemed to be alright, but was the cause for the ABS light. I didn't have the funds to replace it at that time.

Im starting to get a hum noise that I am nearly certain is coming from the wheel bearing. Regardless I would like to have it replaced. I watched a few videos on how to replace it and I think I should be able to knock it out in an afternoon. I may call up my go to mechanic to have him knock it out.

I have been looking at replacement bearings and there are several choices on rock auto (Link here). Ranging from $35 to $190. From research a typical selction would be the Timken brand for ~$100. Then there is the cheapie on eBay (which a lot of people have been buying) for $34. I don't think I want to go with the cheapest, but is it worth it to entertain the thought of using this part? Ebay Link Here

Also, some places are saying its a 32mm, 35mm or 36mm axel socket to remove the large nut in the center. Would this socket work? Link here

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
If that bearing has ever been replaced by GM @ at GM dealer it comes with a lifetime warranty ;) Just a little bit of info if you did not already know

Edit: Also if you ever have a bearing replaced on it at a GM dealer it is a lifetime warranty as well. I work for GM if you are interested if it ever has been send me the Vin and I will look it up while im at work now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info