3800 Wireless IP Addresses

BLK00GTP

Regular
Jan 20, 2009
Schaumburg
I have a Linksys Wireless Router and the default IP addresses for all Linksys Routers is 192.168.1.1

With that said is it possible to change the default IP address to the router? If so... how? If it can be done does that make it hard for hackers to get into your wireless network.

Also what are other companies default router IP's such as Microsoft, D-Link, NetGear etc.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Should be an option on the opening screen under LAN IP Address
Just navigate to http://192.168.1.1 and enter logon credentials and should be on the first screen

Changing the default IP will make it harder for a script kiddie to get on... but anyone that knows anything can get your IP address pretty easily ...

Best bet is to have 128 bit encryption enabled and MAC filtering enabled... an IP Address won't do $hit for the person if they can't transmit data properly over your network... and if they do manage to get your 128 bit key and spoof a MAC address then you have bigger problems that what IP subnet you're using :)

BLK00GTP

Regular
Jan 20, 2009
Schaumburg
Very helpful thank you. Well I have it setup the way you described and i guess since im not storing "top secret" government files I should be fine with this setup i have now.

Another question: If I by chance I pickup someone else's wireless signal from my wireless card (non intentionally) LOL is my firewall the only thing protecting my computer from them accessing data on my machine. Sorry im really new to this whole wireless thing and im trying to take a fast crash course.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
if you pickup and connect to someone elses network you're at their mercy... (unless you have a software firewall software such as black ice running on your computer) because your wireless card isn't going through your firewall.. it's going directly to their network so you become an unsecured machine on their network...

best way to overcome this is don't let your PC autodetect new networks (should be a setting somewhere in the NIC config) ... force it to make you select which network to connect to... Also if you have encryption enabled I don't think it'd be able to connect to another network unless they're using the say private keys as you are... and that'd be damn freaky hehe

Honestly... as long as you have 128 bit encryption and MAC filtering enabled... I doubt you'll ever have any problems... you'd have to seriously piss off someone w/alot of knowledge of networking and wireless networks in order to be "hacked"

12secGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
Des Plaines
weird... a friend just got a wireless setup for his laptop/home setup. router and nics.
I was just questioning these same things. i.e., the security of them since he had picked up someones network in the office building. :eek:

i have been wanting a wireless setup myself, just have not had the time to investigate it yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info