3800 Dial Up... High Speed

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
I have Netzero ... i am tryin g to figure out how that high speed crap works ... After defraging , and doing system maintanance , my computer seems to be going pretty slow (er) than , so iam guessing it just remembers your most frequently visited sites ...other wise it actually does work pretty fast especially when you are used to Regular dial up . :(

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I *think* i know how it works... though this is just a guess since I don't have it...

I'm guessing you install software on your computer for it right?

In that case your software is the client software and you have the server software on the other end.

The other end is a high speed connection to the internet but you're on a slow speed connection to it... so the only way to increase data transfer is by compressing the data before it's sent to you..

so my guess is it works like this

((Internet)) ----{high speed}---> (your ISP Server) --[Server Compresses data] ---{Slow Speed}--> (your computer receives compressed data and uncompresses it)

likewise when sending data to the internet

(your computer compresses data) ---{slow speed}-->(ISP Server receives data) --[ISP Uncompresses data]-->--{high speed}-->((Internet))

Since most of your browsing is done on web pages, a high rate of compression can be achieved (since it's only ASCII/Text characters you can compress the hell outta it)

So if you request a web page that is say 100 kilobytes large, so a normal 53kbps (highest allowed by FCC over dialup.. ) would take about 2 seconds to receive that 100 kilobytes

However if the server on your ISP can compress that 100 kilobytes to say 50 kilobytes, then it only takes your computer 1 second to receive the data.

Example:
You request 100 kilobytes, ISP receives 100kilobytes at high speed, ISP Compresses 100kilobytes to 50kilobytes
ISP Sends to your computer compressed via low speed connection
Your PC uncompresses 50kilobytes back to 100kilobytes and then passes this data to the awaiting application (web page)

Since computers now adays are overkill anyways for just web browsing they rely on your computer to do some processing... so there's extra overhead on your PC as it has to compress in incoming data (and probably does the same for outgoing, then the ISP Server uncompresses the data and sends it on to the internet)

Also, if you try to download a Zipped file (already compressed) that is 1 megabyte, it would prolly take 2 or more times longer to download than a non-compressed Text file that is 1MB large (because your ISP compresses it before sending it to you)

But this is just a guess...

I

imported_GraFFix

My friend has this same thing on Earthlink dialup and it actually works..but there are some downsides.

basically what we figured out is that your ISP is caching previously visited websites, this way when you go back to it it opens almost instantly...they also cut the graphics down a bit to help with file size...when he uses this earthling high speed dial up service..all images look like their only 128 color, any animated images (ani-gif) will show up as static images and will not animate thus saving a little bit of bandwidth there.

For brousing its a good deal...anything else your speeds are the same. the only way your gonna get away from downloading at 4k is to go high speed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• B
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list