3800 Computer question

staceyyearsich

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Crete
I am running windows millenium at home my comp sucks it is a HOG, we have XP but I haven't installed it... now if I install or just reinstall my whole operating system because my comp is wacked out.. will my Kazaa music files be gone?? because I have over a 1,000 songs on my comp.. before I got reinstalling a operating system on my comp I want to know if music files/picture files will all be gone?? cause if so that would really suck

staceyyearsich

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Crete
I was just going to re-install millenium cause my comp won't be able to handle the XP I tried DL'n aol 9.0 and it said I didn't have enough memory so I doubt I could put XP on there I just wanted to re-do Millenium and see if it runs a little better my comp is F*cked, I should have enough memory because I bought more theres no reason it should be able to DL 9.0 (cable modem) it shuts off and locks up constantly even when its just sitting there and I'm not on web sites, and also I clicked this link one time and it has uploaded all these websites and put shortcuts on my desktop I went into control panel and they are still there and also this one program called "so funny" seems to send emails to people from me but I really didn't send em??

Rocky

Regular
Nov 10, 2008
Dyer, IN
When was the last time you ran a full system scan?

Do that first.

It sounds like maybe you would be best off by wiping out your c drive and installing either XP or Millenium. You can save all your music on to a cd or some disks and then put them back once you have done the re-install.

Not too hard to do but a little time consuming.

staceyyearsich

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Crete
I'm not sure I can right them down when I get home, but it will be like check this drive or system error and I'm like Okay now what.. this comp was built for me about 2yrs ago it was the fastest thing out there now its like DEAD weight , my little brother would go on it and shut it down without shutting it down properly ALOT, and he could possibly be deleting files or stuff thats needed to run properly if he doens't know what he's doing?? are these possible??

Rocky

Regular
Nov 10, 2008
Dyer, IN
Again, if I were you I would just wipe out my C: drive and re-install everything.

Just make sure you have all of your software disks.

Once you do this you will be amazed how fast your computer is again compared to how it is now.

If you need someone to walk you through this let me know and I can try to help.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Stacey, i had the same problems way back when, when i had windows Millenium. It was the worst operating system ever made. Worse than 98 first edition. millenium locks up whenever it wants. As long as you have 450mhz and 256mb ram, you can run XP. If you want, reformat the HD, (Hoping you have a cd writer, back up all your data--> songs and such)Then you can re-install ME if you want, and quickly upgrade to XP. ***Thal, you can step in any time here :p*** Final line, do whatever it takes to save/keep your files and get to XP.

I

imported_admin

what you need to do .. is find a computer shop.. or I guess I can do it.. and bring it to them.... let them transfer your little music collection (which I wouldn't be advertising on a public board) and then completly start from scratch. It will take about 3 -5 hours to do.

That is the best thing. Remember, if your computer has a virus, that is causing harm to another business, you CAN be held responsible.. I suggest doing something ASAP.

John

I

imported_admin

yes.. you would bring the "tower" to me... that tower is the computer... knowing 99% of people.. I am sure you have a virus... also.. I would not install Windows ME.. I would install Windows 98. It is older.. but a hell of a lot better.. if it can't handle anything newer...

I

imported_admin

onto a disk? what kind of disc.. unless it is a DVD or something higher.. you will not be able to move that much music...

a floppy will hold a half a song
a ZIP wil hold about 20 songs
a CD will hold about 100 songs
a dvd will hold about 1000 songs

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info