Slipping 1-2 Shift at WOT

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
So my current setup in the 98 is xp, headers, ic, and a 2.6". I still have the stock 120k non-hd trans in there. It is finally starting to get pissed off. I am actually pretty surprised it has lasted this long.

Every 1-2 WOT shift results in it not shifting where I want it to. I have the 1-2 shift point set at 5900rpm. I have to let off the gas most of the time if I want it to shift into second. If I don't, it revs up well over 6k.

What is the best way of going about getting every last drop of life out of this trans? Lowering the shift point, upping the line pressure, or something else?

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
sounds like it could be a tuning issue.

what about 2-3? It only lags at WOT?

I have had the same trans tune on the car for 6 years. This issue has gotten progressively worse. 2-3 is fine. The more throttle I use, the worse it gets. Anything above a slow acceleration results in the slipping.

how are the fluid levels?

Fluid level is fine.

Make sure your rev limiter is set high enough.

If that looks good, increase your shift line pressure and decrease your elapsed shift time.

If that still won't work, lower your shift point to keep it off the rev limiter.

1-2 Shift Point is 5900rpm. Rev Limiter is set to 6800rpm. I have attached my current pressure and time settings. What is the best/safest way to go about increasing the pressure and decreasing the shift time? I'm still using a base ZZP trans file. I have never touched it in all the years that I have owned the car.

Shift Pressure and Shift Time.JPG

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
Welp... looks like that built trans will be purchased sooner than I thought. I got on it in first today and broke something. I have no response from any gear. Engine runs fine but there is a rattling/grinding/knocking coming from the torque converterish area that increases with rpms. I'm assuming it is the input shaft.

Qball

Yes, I would like fries with that.
Sep 26, 2010
Plainfield, IL
Welp... looks like that built trans will be purchased sooner than I thought. I got on it in first today and broke something. I have no response from any gear. Engine runs fine but there is a rattling/grinding/knocking coming from the torque converterish area that increases with rpms. I'm assuming it is the input shaft.

:fu:

That blows. Sorry that happened to you. Nice looking GP, though! :jg:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info