Exhaust

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Soo... I have asked this before but I need some opinions. I have a hole in my resonator and don't know what I should change out. Should I change the whole exhaust pipe going all the way to the muffler? Should I just have a pipe put in place of the resonator?
I would prefer to take it somewhere local and have them do it using decent quality piping where it isn't going to rust out soon.
Also, if I have the whole pipe changed out, would an exhaust shop be able to bolt the front of it to my downpipe?
I don't want to spend more than probably $250 max. The cheaper the better.
Also I have heard a lot of people recommend valasquez in Hanover park, but I didn't hear any confidence in their welds other than "They will make it work".

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
If you put a pipe in, youre gonna get rasp everywhere but idle. no getting around it.

as for the weld, you can have jeff over at goodfellas do it since theyre pretty local to you. w/ a 250 budget, i wouldnt bother going w/ mufflers,etc. either get a replacement resonator or just pipe it.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
If you put a pipe in, youre gonna get rasp every but idle. no getting around it.

as for the weld, you can have jeff over at goodfellas do it since theyre pretty local to you. w/ a 250 budget, i wouldnt bother going w/ mufflers,etc. either get a replacement resonator or just pipe it.
So it will probably sound like crap if I don't put a resonator in?
I actually thought about them, but I would have to get the piping probably and I don't know what to get.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Seriously though, just get a stock replacement resonator.

Is this something I can just walk into an exhaust shop and have them replace? Or should I order it and bring it to them.
I guess I am just afraid of getting it done somewhere and it looking and sounding like shit.
My last exhaust experience was pretty aweful and cost me a lot of money and it was put together like shit in the end.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
Here is how it should look when done. Did this one over the summer. Its really pretty hard to fuck it up.

310517_1952329528447_1248904858_31744847_1671170_n.jpg

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
if you have stock mufflers id just take the res out and throw a pipe in there, it will only be slightly louder than stock, my last car was headers no cat now res other than that stock cat back and it sounded about as nice as a 3800 can slightly louder than stock but when revved it was raspy

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Valasquez will remove the res and weld in a pipe for like $40. The welds are not that nice, but who looks under the car anyway? They will also warranty the work. If you don't like the sound, you only are down $40. You can get a res through them but then you are probably looking at $80 installed.

If you want it nice, Id buy a magnaflow res (PM DD and see what he has) and have Goodfellas weld it up.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
i have a used magnaflow muffler that was inplace of the resonator on a GTP. i can stuff that inplace of yours, or back when i had my gtp, and even when my girlfriend had her 99, we just straight piped that area, didnt sound bad... i barly noticed a difference.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Valasquez will remove the res and weld in a pipe for like $40. The welds are not that nice, but who looks under the car anyway? They will also warranty the work. If you don't like the sound, you only are down $40. You can get a res through them but then you are probably looking at $80 installed.

If you want it nice, Id buy a magnaflow res (PM DD and see what he has) and have Goodfellas weld it up.
Magnaflow resonator sounds pretty OK IMO.

Here's my car with a 3" DP / Magnaflow cat (small amount louder than stock), magnaflow resonator and a stock muffler.

sounds OK in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z9I6JbN7IQ

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info