3800 Grand Prix ignition switch.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Had a customer come in today and asked about her problem with her GTP...

everytime she wants to start the car, the key is locked, until she puts her finger up into the steering column and push the little white button (attached to the ignition switch)

she already replaced the lock cyl, and that was not the problem.

Is it the ignition switch? If so.. is there a write up on how to do that (side job... niiiice) i recall my brother doing it and it was a pain

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
No, button does lock key(buy preventing it from turning to the remove/insert position) , key locks steering wheel, if you remove the button nothing stops the key from turning back to the removal position....
Steering wheel unlock is accomplished by turning the Key, my steering wheel still locks, If you don't feel comfortable removing the cylinder, just zip tie the button so it's always pressed, works just as well as removal :smile:

jeff99gtp

Regular
Sep 9, 2008
lol my car is like the opposite.

my key wont come out of the bitch.

i have to push that thing every time to get it out... i could prolly search for what to do... but just forget to.

mines the same way as KJs. but my plan is just to glue it up so then i dont have to go in there everytime to get my key out. kinda a crappy ghetto way to fix it, but who cares if it fixes it. or will that not work out good if i just glue it up? sorry to thread jack spy!

EDIT: i just read the post before me and we have very similar ideas. so it looks like i will be doing this when i go home.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info