WLUP FM Sold

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The reason being is because Chicago just doesn't have a rock format strong demo.

Look at the top stations in this city consistently, taking out the seasonality of stuff like Christmas music on WLIT.

- It's News (WGN, WBBM-AM)
- It's Talkers (WGN, WLS-AM)
- It's Sports (WSCR and WMVP)
- It's Rhythmic stations (WVAZ, WBBM-FM, WKSC, WGCI)

There has never been a large portion of the CMSA (Chicagoland) for Nielson ratings that clammor for rock. Look at the turn-over

- 103.5 the Blaze (WWBZ)
- Then Rock 103.5 (WRCX)
- CD 947 (WXCD)
- Then 94.7 (which I swear is the frequency of death in Chicago), went hard after Rock 103.5 died becoming "94.7 The Zone" (WZZN)
- Q101 over the years has been two forms of "Q101"
- WVVX died
- Heck throw in 105.9 WCKG when they were classic rock, before going to a talk format.

All those stations went through in about a 10 year period. Yet B9sucks, has been the overall same format since 1986... WGCI is WGCI. You see my point... Up until now, the Loop and WXRT were the only consistent rock radio stations in this burg. This just isn't a strong format here. AND IT SUCKS!!!

Go out to BAaahhhhhsttooon. WAAF fucking rocks. But out there it works because you have a young, dare I sound racist, majority white college population that loves it. Therefore it's popular.

About the only decent rock station left is 95 WIIL rock if you're up closer to the border (it's spotty this far down south/west), but then we 103.9 the Fox... If you can get Capone (former Loop DJ) to quit bitchin' about the Corporate Rock Radio bastards.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
January 2018 PPM ratings for Chicago

1) WVAZ (Urban AC - Adult Contemporary) = 6.8 share
2) WTMX (Hot AC) = 5.4 share
3) WBMX (shitty noise... This is the former 104.3 K-Hits) = 4.8 share
4) WBBM - AM (News) = 4.7 share
5) WOJO (Mexican) = 3.5 share
6) WKSC (CHR - Contemporary Hit Radio) = 3.4 share
7) WLIT (AC) = 3.4 share
8) WUSN (country noise) = 3.4 share
9) WDRV (AOR... Finally a ROCK station) = 3.3 share
10) WGN (News/Talk) = 3.3 share

WXRT is at 11, WKQX is 14 and WLUP is 15. WLUP has a 2.9 share. That's a huge cry from #1 at 6.8!

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
The reason being is because Chicago just doesn't have a rock format strong demo.

Look at the top stations in this city consistently, taking out the seasonality of stuff like Christmas music on WLIT.

- It's News (WGN, WBBM-AM)
- It's Talkers (WGN, WLS-AM)
- It's Sports (WSCR and WMVP)
- It's Rhythmic stations (WVAZ, WBBM-FM, WKSC, WGCI)

There has never been a large portion of the CMSA (Chicagoland) for Nielson ratings that clammor for rock. Look at the turn-over

- 103.5 the Blaze (WWBZ)
- Then Rock 103.5 (WRCX)
- CD 947 (WXCD)
- Then 94.7 (which I swear is the frequency of death in Chicago), went hard after Rock 103.5 died becoming "94.7 The Zone" (WZZN)
- Q101 over the years has been two forms of "Q101"
- WVVX died
- Heck throw in 105.9 WCKG when they were classic rock, before going to a talk format.

All those stations went through in about a 10 year period. Yet B9sucks, has been the overall same format since 1986... WGCI is WGCI. You see my point... Up until now, the Loop and WXRT were the only consistent rock radio stations in this burg. This just isn't a strong format here. AND IT SUCKS!!!

Go out to BAaahhhhhsttooon. WAAF fucking rocks. But out there it works because you have a young, dare I sound racist, majority white college population that loves it. Therefore it's popular.

About the only decent rock station left is 95 WIIL rock if you're up closer to the border (it's spotty this far down south/west), but then we 103.9 the Fox... If you can get Capone (former Loop DJ) to quit bitchin' about the Corporate Rock Radio bastards.

WAAF! Fucking O&A!!!!!!!!!!!:bowrofl:

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm going to guess you don't remember 'Disco DAI?'

I remember.

It's been;
- Disco DAI (WDAI)
- WLS (umpteen times including one stint before WDAI)
- Then Z95 (WYTZ)
- which then had two stunts as Hell 947 and Hot 947
- Then WLS talk radio
- Then Kicks Country (WKXK)
- Then CD 947 (WXCD)
- Then 94.7 The Zone (WZZN)
- And then back to WLS-FM

Hence why I said, it seems to be the frequency of doom here in Chicago.

WAAF! Fucking O&A!!!!!!!!!!!:bowrofl:

I only like the music. I could care less about O&A, especially being a Stern fan.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
"Disco DAI" That brings back memories. I was driving somewhere the morning they changed the format. They were my #1 station when they played rock. I remember listening to a few songs and thinking WTF? Then the DJ came on with those evil words "This is the NEW Disco DAI!" DAMN!

You probably remember the good ole days of "The Met" too. 95 and a half WMET. THAT was the happening rock/top40 station then. Of course then they went all Jazz and are now another Country station (gee, that hasn't been tried on the frequency of doom already), to try and compete with US99.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
You probably remember the good ole days of "The Met" too. 95 and a half WMET. THAT was the happening rock/top40 station then. Of course then they went all Jazz and are now another Country station (gee, that hasn't been tried on the frequency of doom already), to try and compete with US99.

Oh God. I still have a keepsake album I won from a call in contest on WMET. It is signed WMET and the DJ. I wanna say Mike Something....
He was a morning guy.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
7b0e913d14c5d9955fc4a922186d16ed.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Eehh, I'm OK with most of the music they play on it these days. I like a lot of the "indie" rock coming out, hence why I listen to 93.1 as well

im witchya.

i can enjoy a lot of it.

especially when 95.1 has played this song 8 times in a day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ayWB8fN3gQ

id legit rather listen to nearly fucking ANYTHING else than that song. fuck i hate that song.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida

I had a WMET sticker on my wall as a kid. :rofl:

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

1st, you can never hear Zep, Sabbath, Jimi too many times an hour!!!!
It's just not possible!!!!

2nd, mancow was an idiot & a fool.
No clue about now, but when he came here I gave him a chance and he was a loud mouth idiot that catered to clueless young guys!!!
I even got dragged to his Horizon show and it was beyond stupid!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info