Where do you buy furniture?

dberz94

Professional Slacker
Feb 14, 2015
Amish Furniture Shoppe @ 6807 159th St, Tinley Park, IL.

Took 5 weeks but it was well worth the wait.

Bought two side tables and a coffee table made from Cherry wood (just one of like 15 options). Extremely stable and almost flawless, smooth finish too. Multiple variations to chose from.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I prefer getting good used stuff off of Craigslist with the exception of couches, beds, etc. My wife thinks I'm cheaping out and would rather buy something new that's lower quality. Boo.

We bought a sofa set from Ashley 5 years ago. It was a light microfiber and it SUCKED. It sucked so hard. It was uncomfortable, the framing came loose in the cushions so you could see parts of the cushion popping up, the side arm came off on one of them and overall it was all just trash. We got 2 years out of the stuff and threw it away.

When we came out here I started trolling Craigslist for Sectionals. I found one store that was blasting Craigslist cheap furniture. So I grab the wife to go inspect and it's in downtown Los Angeles, not in a great area, kind of ratty inside but the furniture looked good. We ended up buying a 3 piece sectional for $1100 and it's the best thing I've ever done. It's comfortable, stands up to the kids, looks good and feels high quality. Yay for Craigslist.

TL;DR - X2 on going to small furniture places. Ashley can sit on it.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Hell, half the wood I have and is even sanded and stained. I built a stand to install a 150+ gallon fish tank half on the brick wall dividing the kitchen and sun room, but then had to spend like $1000 on the tank and another $500 on the sump filter I was going to plumb into the basement and it has sat stalled at that point for like a year. It was going to have 6x6 legs.

Holy overkill Batman.... Just use a bunch of 2x6's for an aquarium that size.

2x4's up to 90 gallons, 2x6 (or 2x8 if you're really paranoid) is fine for 150 gallons... It's what I used to span for my 180g:
148629DIY_Stand_Template.jpg

Here's my brothers 90g (2x4's):
e8d520fe.jpg

Here's my old 180g (2x6's):
180stand5.jpg

themethlab.jpg

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I got my dining table set and family room set (14 piece) at Ashley's Furniture. The main sofa is awesome and extremely comfortable. After a few years of owning it, it's still like new (besides the few scratches from when my wife and I moved into our new home).

The dining room table and chairs are okay. Definitely decent and holds up. Quality is okay. Everything still looks good but nothing fancy.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Holy overkill Batman.... Just use a bunch of 2x6's for an aquarium that size.

2x4's up to 90 gallons, 2x6 (or 2x8 if you're really paranoid) is fine for 150 gallons... It's what I used to span for my 180g:
148629DIY_Stand_Template.jpg

Here's my brothers 90g (2x4's):
e8d520fe.jpg

Here's my old 180g (2x6's):
180stand5.jpg

themethlab.jpg

lol I know, I did it just because it will look cool. Hell, its only a half stand really, half the tank will sit on a brick wall. The reason I stopped is that I will have to get a custom drilled tank for the overflow placement I want and that drove the costs up. I was going to hard plumb it into the basement where there is water for the washer dryer and slop sink that I can hook into, and the ejector pit I can dump into. This way for water changes I just have to twist a couple valves and drink a beer while it drains and refills. :jg:

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
lol I know, I did it just because it will look cool. Hell, its only a half stand really, half the tank will sit on a brick wall. The reason I stopped is that I will have to get a custom drilled tank for the overflow placement I want and that drove the costs up. I was going to hard plumb it into the basement where there is water for the washer dryer and slop sink that I can hook into, and the ejector pit I can dump into. This way for water changes I just have to twist a couple valves and drink a beer while it drains and refills. :jg:
Gotcha. I wish I lived in a two story house where I could do that. Unfortunately I live on a slab and I did mine through the attic. While it was nice, I couldn't do anything from October to March and had to run lines across the hallway when I needed to do a water change.

budsang1

From 45's to STi's
Jan 25, 2010
Galesburg, IL
I am slowly replacing my cheap, pressboard/veneered furniture with Amish furniture, started a few years ago with with my son's crib, dresser and bookcase. Now have end tables, tv stand, toy box, high chair, other shit I can't think of. Most of it is from Amish furniture gallery in Naperville. Here is a piece that I can see from where I'm sitting. Expensive, but it will last my entire life. Solid wood, and high quality. I think dining room is next. Gotta save for a while .

23cca5b8dfb6713aed7079bf324b59e8.jpg

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I need to get a new dining room set. Looking for a rectangular trestle style table with a rustic farmhouse look. I would be open to a square table that extends to accommodate more place settings. I am just sick of buying junk, but also don't want to spend a fortune. Can a decent one be had for under $1000?

Which stores are decent and what is garbage? Any good websites I might not know about?

There was one at macys that I really liked that fits your bill it was like $1200 tho.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock

We drilled our own tank. It was surprisingly easy

Oh and back on topic. Any value type furniture place is pretty much junk. We had the typical $1000 family room kit from Ashley that comes with a couch and loveseat couple of end tables and lamps and a coffee table. It's all low grade Chinese shit. We had to have warranty repairs done and when the guy came to the house to fix it he took the couch apart and it was nothing but strips of 1/2" particle board. Like no wonder the frame cracked.

As far as brands go I found England to have pretty well built shit that doesn't cost a fortune like other brands. Plus everything is endlessly customizable

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
When I bought my townhouse we had to furnish a living room, dining room and family room/entertainment room. Living room furniture was from Ashley and its meh. The couches are comfy but I'm not sure how they'll hold up over the years when we have kids.
Dining room set we got from HHGregg and saw the exact same set at Ashley for a few hundred more than what we paid. Believe it or not the table and chairs are actually really nice and good quality.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
New sexional is on the list with taxes since wife is spoiled and now new house needs more furniture.

Also I made the coffee tables and end tables we have out of oak and have etched glass tops. Wish I had pictures to post up.

Kinda rustic looking redwood stain with thick clear and the 4 pieces of glass each have something different.

1 is a bear, fish, deer, and eagle.

I made them for my grandfathers lake place we build but when he sold the place I got them back.

Edit: them Krig jigs for blind screws are the business for making furniture and what not. Id like to attempt to build a dresser next.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
To that note...keep an eye on estate sales in wealthier neighborhoods...my aunt works for an estate sale firm based in Barrington, and she is constantly off-loading high quality furniture

I would like to speak with your mother. I own and am restoring a Victorian Eclectic in Aurora so I am always on the lookout for furniture and odds and ends.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info