What would you do - Small Block Ford Edition

What would TCG do with Dasfincs 5.0 Short Block

• Let it ride, Clean it off and re-assemble.

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Get it rebuilt, Tear it down to bare block and re-ring/bearing it

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Go Big, Buy a DSS 331 stroker kit ($1100) and have it rebuilt

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Junk It.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
BnC5kC5.png

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
:panda:

Easy decision if it ran good without smoking and was quiet on a cold start. Timing chain etc. are wear parts. If you have a bore scope you can stick it in a plug hole and I'd give a decent chance of even seeing some hone left in the bores. EFI engines are another animal compared to carbed engines due to a better warmup. If I remember right this would be a wasted spark setup? If so, one side WILL wear the plugs a lot worse than the other.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
:panda:

Easy decision if it ran good without smoking and was quiet on a cold start. Timing chain etc. are wear parts. If you have a bore scope you can stick it in a plug hole and I'd give a decent chance of even seeing some hone left in the bores. EFI engines are another animal compared to carbed engines due to a better warmup. If I remember right this would be a wasted spark setup? If so, one side WILL wear the plugs a lot worse than the other.

Heads are already off, the hone is SUPER clean/visible/clear still. Generally speaking EFI and Iron Block bode especially well for wear items on bottom ends.

I'll have to google about 'wasted spark'.

DSS sells that with forged pistons and rods for $1400 (and they are local).

If/When I buy a spare motor to build I'll 'go big', and for $500 more its a bit of a no-brainer.

Bang for the buck, it'll cost me probably $4,000-5,000 to get a brand new, an d rather 'nasty' stroker motor from DSS after talking to them, but I'd rather throw that kind of money at the Mustang over what is intended to be my beater truck...

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Heads are already off, the hone is SUPER clean/visible/clear still. Generally speaking EFI and Iron Block bode especially well for wear items on bottom ends.

I'll have to google about 'wasted spark'.

DSS sells that with forged pistons and rods for $1400 (and they are local).

If/When I buy a spare motor to build I'll 'go big', and for $500 more its a bit of a no-brainer.

Bang for the buck, it'll cost me probably $4,000-5,000 to get a brand new, an d rather 'nasty' stroker motor from DSS after talking to them, but I'd rather throw that kind of money at the Mustang over what is intended to be my beater truck...

It ran 4 coil packs with 2 plugs on each right? If so wasted spark.

RUN IT. Boost later if need be, the "P" motors were always great in a stang with a bit of boost and a mild cam.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
It ran 4 coil packs with 2 plugs on each right? If so wasted spark.

RUN IT. Boost later if need be, the "P" motors were always great in a stang with a bit of boost and a mild cam.

Ooooo no, the SBF is single plug per chamber.

Dodge HEMI motors are dual spark, so are the 4 cylinder rangers, but not the ford 5.0.

And yes, I ran a P headed Explorer motor in my last ranger with a mild cam and boost and it was a RIOT.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Ooooo no, the SBF is single plug per chamber.

Dodge HEMI motors are dual spark, so are the 4 cylinder rangers, but not the ford 5.0.

And yes, I ran a P headed Explorer motor in my last ranger with a mild cam and boost and it was a RIOT.

4 coil packs with two plugs on each coil, not 2 plugs per cylinder is the question..

Think GM 3.8... 3 coil packs for a 6 cylinder because waste spark not dual spark.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I don't know if the Ford trucks with that motor had anything other than a dizzy a single coil. I'm pretty sure it was only the 4.6 that got the EDIS ignition with the two coil packs (2 coils and 4 ignition cables each) at the front of each valve cover

Pretty sure these did, instead of doing what GM did with the hokey distributor on the Vortecs I Thought these went to a cam sensor and EDIS.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
4 coil packs with two plugs on each coil, not 2 plugs per cylinder is the question..

Think GM 3.8... 3 coil packs for a 6 cylinder because waste spark not dual spark.

I don't know if the Ford trucks with that motor had anything other than a dizzy a single coil. I'm pretty sure it was only the 4.6 that got the EDIS ignition with the two coil packs (2 coils and 4 ignition cables each) at the front of each valve cover

5.0 Explorer's run 2 coil packs, 4 wires each, but each pack is not to a single respective side if I recall correctly.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
5.0 Explorer's run 2 coil packs, 4 wires each, but each pack is not to a single respective side if I recall correctly.

Pardon the brain fart, yeah that's EDIS. Basically there's 2 coils potted into a single pack. On the 6es you get 3 coils potted into a single pack. :)

EDIS Ignition Control

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yeah it's basically a hybrid 5.0 4.6 ignition and computer system for the OBD2 change over years.
Why don't you look into using a 4.6 set up to control it?

Most V-8 ranger guys do one of these 3 options:

1) Hell with electronics and run Carbed
2) Run the Explorer electronics and call it a day
3) Run a stand alone such as Megasquirt

I'm going probably the least common route, which is run the explorer electronics and actually get it professionally tuned. Thankfully there is a stout tuner in the area (Mike Post) that has a high level of familiarity with both the small block and OBD2 tuning systems and is willing to take this on.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
You come pull the shortblock and T5 out of my Cobra and you can have it.....

Problem is lack of room in garage so it would likely need to be done in the driveway and I have a hernia so I ain't getting dirty.

It's been sitting so it would likely need to get cleaned up, but it's got like 50k miles (if memory serves) and a TFS Stage 1 cam in it.

I'll even toss in some ARP studs if I can dig them up.

I think the 2.5" Mac catback is still on it as well, you could take that if you wanted it too.

All I can think of that I wanted off it was the motor mounts because those were relatively new and can be reused on my stroker motor.

Other than that, its a 5.0 roller block, run it till it splits. Fordstokers was so tired of them having cracks after magnafluxing them he won't even make shortblocks with them anymore, everything is a DART block now.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You come pull the shortblock and T5 out of my Cobra and you can have it.....

Problem is lack of room in garage so it would likely need to be done in the driveway and I have a hernia so I ain't getting dirty.

It's been sitting so it would likely need to get cleaned up, but it's got like 50k miles (if memory serves) and a TFS Stage 1 cam in it.

I'll even toss in some ARP studs if I can dig them up.

I think the 2.5" Mac catback is still on it as well, you could take that if you wanted it too.

All I can think of that I wanted off it was the motor mounts because those were relatively new and can be reused on my stroker motor.

Other than that, its a 5.0 roller block, run it till it splits. Fordstokers was so tired of them having cracks after magnafluxing them he won't even make shortblocks with them anymore, everything is a DART block now.

Errrr, Yes? On all fronts? PM'ed

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
45EAEC4A-1416-4873-A69E-958D9C4BE54B_zpsciihsbmr.jpg

CF27D034-93EC-4B40-815E-ACF3A70EEC58_zpsxh9usfhd.jpg

Pretty sure it has an upgraded water pump, better balancer, some march brackets if you want them, etc.

The Trans is a world class T5 if you want to go that route... It's beat to shit, and you would need a shifter for it... Clutch and pressure plate is a Centerforce dual friction setup....

I need to keep the water pump pulley, driveshaft, and motor mounts.... Other than that if you pull it all out the shortblock and trans is yours.

Thread Info