Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Mortgage and property taxes 8% last year 0% on cars

because this :mamoru:

f5aaae1a8e.png

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
We have 1 joint checking account and nothing else. Her money is mine and mine is hers. Earn and save together. Is nobody else like that?

She and I both prefer to keep things separate. She had an ex-husband that spent his way into the poorhouse. Though by now I think she knows I won’t spend more than I can make. It also makes it easier to spend money on car stuff that I don’t need. She would not have like to split the bill with me on all my upgrades this year. We can’t tell each other how to spend our money. As long as we can both pay our portion of the bills, no one lectures the other on spending money. We have a shared credit card for expenses that get split, and we have our own cards for our own expenses. I don’t really know at what point we would merge. We’ve been together six and half year and married two and a half years.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
This

DINK so we just spend and save. I have a financial advisor and he is happy with what we put away vs spend so that is good enough for me I suppose.

LOL. Having a happy financial advisor may not be a good thing... I don't really trust any of them. The fact that the government enacted a law stating that they must act in your best interest is very telling...

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'd be very leery of a financial adviser in purchasing investments. As Turk said, they may not always have your best interest as they may steer you into something in which they receive a larger commission.

But if it is just for general financial advice, it's not a bad idea.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Must have been a normal thing back in the day. My parents said the same thing to me..... well at least for the mortgage. Idk about all bills.

This was tbe same direction I've been taught, with a twist. One quarter of take-home monthly income needs to cover 2x mortgage and 1x escrow, paying twice a month to minimize interest paid and shorten loan term. One quarter for all other bills/needs and half to savings.

This worked fine when I was single, not so much now.

We're in the market to build again in spring/summer and are only looking at one income when figuring budget for a lot of reasons.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
We have 1 joint checking account and nothing else. Her money is mine and mine is hers. Earn and save together. Is nobody else like that?

This is the way it has always been for me, I make almost double her salary but spend probably one quarter. I doesn’t bother me one bit..

I have had shared accounts with other women and have gotten screwed. If I can’t trust my significant other with money then it’s just not going to work!

If I was to get divorced today my wife and I wouldn’t fight over the money, I would gladly give her half or more just to make it go away. I can always make more money and fighting with someone over it just isn’t worth it.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Mortgage - 15%
Utilities - 6%
Car Payments - 0%
Savings / House Improvements / Fun - The rest

I feel like people spend way too much on car payments and mortgages these days, they leave no room for "when things go bad" or for instance I have a friend who owns a home 3x my homes worth, but he never has any $$. Silly imho

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
LOL. Having a happy financial advisor may not be a good thing... I don't really trust any of them. The fact that the government enacted a law stating that they must act in your best interest is very telling...

My advisor was already a fiduciary before it was required.

But I agree, I wouldn't put all you eggs there without knowing. Lucky for me I found my advisor by referral from a family friend that has used him for many many years....

So far, so good, but I am always trying to double check his work.

It I just one of the things I don't have a lot of interest in fully managing, though I wish I did

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
My advisor was already a fiduciary before it was required.

But I agree, I wouldn't put all you eggs there without knowing. Lucky for me I found my advisor by referral from a family friend that has used him for many many years....

So far, so good, but I am always trying to double check his work.

It I just one of the things I don't have a lot of interest in fully managing, though I wish I did

maybe check his fb profile and see if he's living the high life :bowrofl:

https://youtu.be/7rB5a15YJ5g?t=44

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info