• None of these, Ive offered up a route below

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I'm a big fan of taking one route to get there and coming home another. That's why the circle tour was awesome because we never back tracked. I feel the bourbon trail or dragon would be a lot of the same route.

I'm biased to going to the twin cities because I've been there a ton and there are a LOT of great breweries and cool places to visit. Driving up one side of the Mississippi river and coming home on the other would be awesome, as well.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I feel a bit biased on the Mississippi River route. Our tracks run right next to the road, and working that route to the twin cities never sucked because the scenery is so great. That being said I've never driven that route 35 but have seen parts of it listed on some "roads to cruise motorcycles" list.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I'm a big fan of taking one route to get there and coming home another. That's why the circle tour was awesome because we never back tracked. I feel the bourbon trail or dragon would be a lot of the same route.

I'm biased to going to the twin cities because I've been there a ton and there are a LOT of great breweries and cool places to visit. Driving up one side of the Mississippi river and coming home on the other would be awesome, as well.

Anything we plan will never be a backtrack. I think the idea is to keep the route fresh and interesting as possible.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I feel a bit biased on the Mississippi River route. Our tracks run right next to the road, and working that route to the twin cities never sucked because the scenery is so great. That being said I've never driven that route 35 but have seen parts of it listed on some "roads to cruise motorcycles" list.

that's a sweet route, i ran the river north from winona once, it was gorgeous, i know the tracks you're talking about

there was a miata club and a corvette club that passed me as well.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
that's a sweet route, i ran the river north from winona once, it was gorgeous, i know the tracks you're talking about

there was a miata club and a corvette club that passed me as well.

Only downside (if you consider it one) is that it's mostly 2 lane and there's a lot of small towns to run through.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Only downside (if you consider it one) is that it's mostly 2 lane and there's a lot of small towns to run through.

wisconsin side or minnesota side? minnesota side north of winona seemed to be a seperated highway with at least two lanes heading north and two heading south from what i remember, wisconsin side seemed to be a small two lane road.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Personally, I'm not thrilled about the dragon with 30+ cars, but that is only my opinion and I'll of course support and be excited for anything we end up doing.

I want to do the dragon for sure, just not so sure a large group makes sense. Ive been wrong many times before tho.

First off you want to do 4 days for sure. You will burn two just driving there and back. But you can also have the opportunity to stop the first or last day in Nashville to spend the night. That is what we did last two years. It adds something different to the trip besides just driving. Nashville is a fun town at night.

You can't really do 30 cars at once through the Tail. You can go like a parade lap through there. With a little speed so no one gets crazy. But the issue is the top and the bottom of the Tail has very little space to park and turn around. The motorcycle resort is usually pretty full with motorcycles. So getting 5-10 cars in there is hard enough. It wouldn't fit 30 cars. But you can break up into 2 or three groups. One up the Tail, one down the Tail and one on the other roads around the Tail. There are 4 or 5 other roads that are plenty of curves and elevation changes. But nothing as severe as the Tail. So you rotate what group goes where.

Dragon is so congested and police are everywhere. Never been personally but read enough road trip threads on other forums.

You have to plan a trip during the week and when there are no major events that clog it up during the week. Like Mustang week, Corvette Nationals and so on. Because many of them plan trips to pass thorugh the Tail on the way to and from the events. This way you are much better odds of it being less congested. The few years we have been going has seen almost no congestion. We see a cop here and there. But they usually hang out at the bridge at one spot or drive through. I have yet to see them sitting at any of the few pull off spots. As those are usually big enough for one or two cars. Again, I am sure there are more police there on a weekend.

Honestly, there's not many members I would trust following me thru the dragon.

Trust is a big thing here. But to be honest I doubt most people will have the balls to run hard through there. Going through at a quick pace is a blast and wears you out. You are shuffling the wheel non stop except for a few strait sections. And they are not long! lol You can still go quick and have a blast. Going fast, risking your life and having the adrenaline pumping the whole time is not something most people will risk. It never fails when we bring a new person on the trip we warn them, go though slow and they are hooked at the slower speeds. We always see a bike that went off road and it serves as a reminder how dangerous that place can be. So dare devils to the front.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
right about through here and south through la crosse and north heading towards wabahsha is gorgeous with REALLY nice roads.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1731135,-91.8286067,5388m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://goo.gl/maps/Hnybt3rF7RL2

Yessir :bigthumb:. I worked out of La Crosse this summer and it's scenic both ways.

great-river-road-1980x1325-PX.png

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I know it is late but an idea for future events. The Blue Ridge Parkway is an amazing road and has stunning views as it winds through parks and mountain tops. I have done that route as well. This is more sweeping turns and not as quick elevation changes. It also has a lot to do and see just off the road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Parkway

I have done a few route out to Savanna. Used to go out there several times a year as a buddy had parents and grandparents that lived on farms out there. The drive is kind of bland short of a few miles on a couple roads. Like the Stage Coach Trial. Nice country view sites but not too exciting.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
We got 91 at some stops but it ethanol free so it was just as good. My car seemed to love it even tho my car was tuned on our regular ol 93. Your car should be fine on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info