Thinking of trading the EB Mustang... Thoughts?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
My car drops anchor plenty hard with fresh fluid and the braided lines to be honest. I think the Brembo's alone are actually a bit 'over-sold', and the track pack cars are really a sum of their parts with the extra cooling, the diff/gearing, suspension differences ONTOP of the brakes.

Are Brembos "oversold" perhaps. However, they, like Wilwood, Baer, etc, all WORK.

There is no replacement for swept area of a rotor, I.E. the size of the rotor and the amount of pad contact to the rotor AND the amount of clamping pressure and the evenness of that pressure that can be generated by the pistons in the caliper. That's where the friction point is, and that's what stops you. Not braided lines and fresh fluid. Those help overall performance, but that isn't the point of contact.

I am sorta pissed at myself, when Photobucket went mental a year or so ago, I converted to Imgur, unfortunately, I did not convert the picture I had of my Brembo replacement front rotor for my Cadillac (which came from the factory with Brembo's are all 4 corners), vs. my original GTO front rotor. The Brembo rotor was substantially larger in diameter, as well as had more swept area for the pad. This picture is one of the reasons why, when I get my lazy ass around to it, I'm converting my fronts on the GTO to a Brembo setup.

I won't say I was "street racing" in mexico or anything, but I did have a skirmish a couple years back in the Caddy, where I solidly whooped whatever tried to run me. Unfortunately, some fucktard on a cross-street miscalculated our speed as we approached and decided to cut out in front of us. Had I NOT had those Brembo's, I'd have t-boned him.

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
My car drops anchor plenty hard with fresh fluid and the braided lines to be honest. I think the Brembo's alone are actually a bit 'over-sold', and the track pack cars are really a sum of their parts with the extra cooling, the diff/gearing, suspension differences ONTOP of the brakes.

I went from stock GT brakes to the factory Brembos on my car, and you don't notice the difference in everyday driving, but slowing down at the track is waaaaay easier, and there's no fade like I had when I would hotlap my car at the strip. By the 2nd or 3rd pass, I couldn't make the first turn off anymore without standing on the pedal with both feet.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Will do, let me see what these things are going for these days, and I'll cut you a deal. You have wheels that'll clear them, right? I thought you had GT500 reps or something along those lines.

I'm on 2016 19 inch rims now which I'd imagine would clear, and yea, I've seen prices all over the place which is why I'm hoping you may cut me a good deal :jg:

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
I've only driven one non-track pack car but the differences in ride and handling were staggering. I'm also more of a handling and road course guy than a drag race guy and I can tell you that after a couple of hard Laps on Blackhawk Farms, my brembos were already begging for mercy so I can't even imagine what the stock brakes would be like. That's with HPS pads and good fluid too.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Ok update.. and I'm torn. I test drove a 2013 GT base auto. It had an axle back on it and felt more like an angry muscle car but wasn't a fan of the interior. Also drove a 17 GT loaded premium auto really felt much better than the EcoBoost. Instant power and pulls nice to redline and felt great! Interior was almost the same as my car. Steering was much heavier and not as quick than the EBM which was expected.

Now I really think I nailed what I don't like about the EcoBoost Mustang. It makes full boost at 2500 rpm (even at part throttle) and takes a shit at 4500rpm. It's so unfulfilling to stand on it and take it to redline. Ive been told a turbo upgrade makes the car totally different so I'm meeting up with a local that has an EcoBoost Mustang with a Vargas stage II turbo, intercooler, BOV, and tune to test drive over the weekend. We shall see how that feels to drive.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The Vargas turbo upgrades seem to be liked very well. It will be interesting to see what you think of it versus the GT.

And a GT picks up some power yet with a tune. Not as much as the 2011-14 cars, but still noticeable gains. Later throw a converter in it and it is a whole lot more fun as it gets into the powerband NOW! I'm not too far from you if you want to try a tuned, stalled, e85, header, GT.

Just depends on car budget, wants, mods you might do, mods budget, and so on. But cool you get to try out an upgraded turbo ecoboost for comparison.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info