The all new 2018 Ford Expedition

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I don't think GM has ANYTHING to worry about with their powertrains.

GM's small block V8 is the best it's ever been.

GM owns 80%+ of the full size SUV market with their current K2Y's, which is actually UP from the GMT900 platform SUV's. Ford has had the core of their new Expo's powertrain (I.E. the EBV6), in their current Expo. Granted it's ancient elsewhere, but it hasn't made a dent in GM's sales.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I don't think GM has ANYTHING to worry about with their powertrains.

GM's small block V8 is the best it's ever been.

GM owns 80%+ of the full size SUV market with their current K2Y's, which is actually UP from the GMT900 platform SUV's. Ford has had the core of their new Expo's powertrain (I.E. the EBV6), in their current Expo. Granted it's ancient elsewhere, but it hasn't made a dent in GM's sales.

The updated Ecoboost 3.5L is a much more advanced engine and both vehicles will share the co-developed 10 speed. There's only so much GM can do with the small block without boost.

The current Gen Expedition was way dated to compete. This generation will do well and I am sure will steal market share.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The updated Ecoboost 3.5L is a much more advanced engine and both vehicles will share the co-developed 10 speed. There's only so much GM can do with the small block without boost.

The current Gen Expedition was way dated to compete. This generation will do well and I am sure will steal market share.

i'd take that bet.

these buyers don't care or use logic to buy vehicles.

they get escalades, because the thing's say escalade on the front. they get tahoe's because that's what they know.

there is no reason GM's large suv's sell like they do, other than fanboy-ism and nutswinging, and i really feel like unless ford undercut GM by like 20-25% for comparably equipped trucks, no one is going to care.

if this new expedition "steals" any of gm's market share, it will be insignificant.

gm's large suv sales are a force that can't be stopped because that market doesn't care about much.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
7ac.jpg

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
i'd take that bet.

these buyers don't care or use logic to buy vehicles.

they get escalades, because the thing's say escalade on the front. they get tahoe's because that's what they know.

there is no reason GM's large suv's sell like they do, other than fanboy-ism and nutswinging, and i really feel like unless ford undercut GM by like 20-25% for comparably equipped trucks, no one is going to care.

if this new expedition "steals" any of gm's market share, it will be insignificant.

gm's large suv sales are a force that can't be stopped because that market doesn't care about much.

I both agree and disagree with you here. Where I agree is that people buy what they know. They go from a Tahoe to Yukon or vice versa.

Where I disagree is that the behavior above driven by the fact that really the GM twins (and Escalade) were the only competent vehicles in this class. GM had two (almost 3) complete redesigns while the Expedition lumbered on with the same basic vehicle for roughly a decade. Ford finally has put a competent product in this segment and I personally think it will erode GM’s sales over the next few years. Remember in the late 90’s/early 2000’s, Ford sold over 200K Expeditions which was competitive with GM’s twins. Last year Ford sold 60K and GM sold 157K Tahoes/Yukons. I guess we will have to watch 2018 sales figures to see how that shifts and who is right or wrong.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I agree with KJ. GM SUVS just sell, all day, every day and even on Sundays somehow some way.

And It is also the first and last ones I'd look at because they just work.

I think it was said here a while ago: "A Gm will run like crap longer than anything else on the road" or something like that

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
GM SUVS for sure. IMO [MENTION=7801]cmntmxr57[/MENTION]

I both agree and disagree with you here. Where I agree is that people buy what they know. They go from a Tahoe to Yukon or vice versa.

Where I disagree is that the behavior above driven by the fact that really the GM twins (and Escalade) were the only competent vehicles in this class. GM had two (almost 3) complete redesigns while the Expedition lumbered on with the same basic vehicle for roughly a decade. Ford finally has put a competent product in this segment and I personally think it will erode GM’s sales over the next few years. Remember in the late 90’s/early 2000’s, Ford sold over 200K Expeditions which was competitive with GM’s twins. Last year Ford sold 60K and GM sold 157K Tahoes/Yukons. I guess we will have to watch 2018 sales figures to see how that shifts and who is right or wrong.

I bet sales jump first or second year but that isn't fair. New things always grab people because of the look at me attitude. It only counts if the vehicle continues to steal sales. GM sells year over year, pretty consistently.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

but they haven't been the only competent vehicles though, the 07-13 gm suv's are pretty fucking lame and sold like hotcakes. i mean even my LOADED 2013 truck- which shares everything with the suv's is pretty weak.

if i was in the market in 12/13 for a full size suv, i would have gone expedition for sure. the suburban/tahoe's weren't there then... the expedition was better then.

i had a rental one for a while back then, it was night and day better than a comparable burban.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Which is the better vehicle? We know which one sells and which one will continue to sell and which one will retain its value.

But putting all that aside, which one is actually superior?

i personally think the expedition is stronger and has been....

quieter, smoother ride, nicer interior, etc.

and also your "which one will retain its value" is all of them. since these things aren't being produced like they were in the early 2000's, they will still hold their value since new ones are so pricey.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
From what I saw in the used markets The expeditions don't wear as well as the GM twins. Interiors were always worn out and exteriors (minus rust) looked more worn.

I tried to buy an expedition but just felt like I was wasting my money. New might be different though, I guess I'll have to believe in the KJ

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info