The 2018 Accord can make some real power with just a flash

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
FVSchaum_Feb_Alltrack-min.jpg

Only thing that sucks is they probably wouldn’t be the 8/70, just 3/36. Although I never keep cars longer than 2 years anyways :hsughlol:

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I get the AWD case as I enjoy mine. But it lacks some ass out RWD action I enjoy as well.

Plus I would like to have a better performing summer tire and run snow tires. But sounds like you run snow tires regardless. So it's a moot point.

Doesn't Xdrive transfer the bias front to rear with a bias towards RWD? I can kick the ass out in my G37X, but Infiniti's setup is 100% RWD until it detects slip and then will adjust the bias accordingly.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Doesn't Xdrive transfer the bias front to rear with a bias towards RWD? I can kick the ass out in my G37X, but Infiniti's setup is 100% RWD until it detects slip and then will adjust the bias accordingly.

I believe I read it can give 100% power to one wheel if needed. But if you kick the ass out I believe it will send power up front. So you are not going to be able to tail out drift it on dry pavement like the new Focus RS can in drift mode. Well not without unplugging the transfer case electrical plug. lol

The issue with the XDrive is that since it is computer controlled it can use yaw, pitch, roll, wheel speed, steering angle, and more to put power where it thinks it is needed. So I think if you try to drift it the computer will see the rear tires spinning and direct power up front. But because the engineers want you to have the "BMW Driving Experience" it does feel like a RWD car when you are driving most of the time. I think that is why they went with a 40:60 biased system and have the ability to direct power anywhere. You don't feel the front tires pulling the car. I have not driven the car hard enough to really throw it around and see how it really works and feels.

I believe even Audi is starting to step away from their old AWD system, with viscus couplers and torsion diffs, to a BMW style system. Other high-end car manufacturers use the same kind of AWD. But not something you see in the ranks of brands making commuter type cars. And does that finally answer which has the better AWD, Audi or BMW? :s00ls:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That is true. I added lowering springs, shocks & struts to help that. As well as get rid of the fender to tire gap. XDrive has a pretty substantial ride height. haha

The other item up front that is not as good is the hydro-bushing in the lower arm. There is a poly bushing you can swap in I believe. But is a huge pain to swap out. The RWD uses a better bushing. A cheap upgrade for the RWD is the M3 arm. The RWD arm has other options like the roto-joints as well.

The XDrive is not without issues and challenges. But if you need AWD it is not a bad suspension to work around and tweak.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
So actually, looking at the models, the Golf S doesn't look so bad. It has basically all of the features the Alltrack S does, but the Alltrack has the leatherette seats and 17" wheels. The Golf S 4 Motion is $24,700 and the comparable Alltrack is $2K more, like [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] said. But is 17" wheels and leatherette seats worth $2K?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
You're also gaining some ride height as well IIRC. The cloth is kinda a downer, VW is so strange with how they option cars lol. My TDI S was ONLY available with leatherette seating, but I could not option heated seats. Where as this is exactly the opposite :rofl:

The leatherette in my golf was nice. Definitely didn't feel like cheap pleather, and it's insanely durable.

Also, the "base" 6.5" screen is what I believe I had in my car. It was good, no thrills but very sufficient. That MK7 golf was my favorite "everymans" car I've owned by a longshot.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
You're also gaining some ride height as well IIRC. The cloth is kinda a downer, VW is so strange with how they option cars lol. My TDI S was ONLY available with leatherette seating, but I could not option heated seats. Where as this is exactly the opposite :rofl:

The leatherette in my golf was nice. Definitely didn't feel like cheap pleather, and it's insanely durable.

Also, the "base" 6.5" screen is what I believe I had in my car. It was good, no thrills but very sufficient. That MK7 golf was my favorite "everymans" car I've owned by a longshot.

If I go Alltrack, I'd likely go with a Golf R or Eibach lowering springs.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
And FWIW the white on brown is exactly what I would buy. Looks awesome IMO.

Fuck you emissions scandal, My Facebook timehop popped up from the auto show a few days ago with a picture of an alltrac when they were still planning on being released with a TDI engine.

I like the Alltrack at mid to low 20's. I think it's a lot of car for the money. If TDI was the only option, that thing would be in the 30's easily, and they wouldn't be dealing them.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
So here's a question, the Golf Sportwagen only offers 4 Motion on the S model, which is the base...but the Alltrack has 4 motion across the range and offers a stick (which I would want). Just by features alone, you'd have to go with the Alltrack, right? Seems like an Golf S would be a penalty box...

True. You might be able to get a 2018 S for the same price of a 2017 Alltrack, and then you'd have the big warranty on the S. But, yes, fewer features. Hill descent control and some other assist, too. Personally, I like the Alltrack's styling vs the Wagen. And there seem to be deals to be had on both. VW is pushing their SUV game hard right now, and with success. The Golf is the last vestige of VW that was a slightly more premium product than competitors.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info