⚡ EV Tesla semi-truck debuts in September, pickup by 2019

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Air-Line-Pigtal.jpg

This is your typical setup. the green cable controlling lights. Carrying 12 volts. But wouldn't this thing have way more voltage?

This is exactly the setup I'm thinking. It would be a thicker cable no doubt but that green cable is way over engineered as it is, presumably because it sees a lot of flexing and is exposed to the elements.

I think you're overestimating the size of the cable. The high voltage cable in a Model S is smaller circumference than that. Even a supercharger cable, designed to see sustained high current, is maybe twice the thickness and that's only because it's liquid cooled.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
While the semi thing is interesting, something that I as a consumer would be interested in is what I'm here for.

If that had a decent sized bed (read; I can put an ATV/sheet of plywood in there) seat four comfortably, tow the equivalent of a gasoline powered light duty truck (Colorado, Tacoma 6,500#'s ish) and have a range of 250-300 miles I'd be all over it. By 2019 the Supercharger network will be double what it is now, I could definitely see owning one.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
This is exactly the setup I'm thinking. It would be a thicker cable no doubt but that green cable is way over engineered as it is, presumably because it sees a lot of flexing and is exposed to the elements.

I think you're overestimating the size of the cable. The high voltage cable in a Model S is smaller circumference than that. Even a supercharger cable, designed to see sustained high current, is maybe twice the thickness and that's only because it's liquid cooled.

I could see the amazing benefits of a trailer sitting on the dock getting loaded and charged at the same time. It definitely would be a game changer.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Oh without a doubt. I already know how powerful the regen is in the current cars. I can easily pull almost 40-50kw charging when the Volt is in L range (basically 1 foot driving)

I cannot imagine what the draw would be with 80,000 lbs behind me. I am sure they would have to limit the physical charging rate. This could be really good for mountain areas though where conventional semi brakes overheat.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
That's really where I see an advantage right now. Living in a dense city there seems to be a distinct advantage to having all electric busses and short haul delivery vehicles. Especially with busses that are already huge and would see a negligible difference in weight with the addition of a battery, you're looking at having full torque immediately, much less maintenance and no emissions which is huge for an area like LA where we live in an induction layer and all our smog gets trapped here.

I don't see any disadvantage to basically any large vehicle going all electric. My brother's wife's father (does that become my father in law?) was telling me yesterday about all the places he can't take his motorhome. They'll take different routes around mountains because the V10 just dies at elevation and even then they're getting 9 miles to the gallon. If batteries were cheap enough you have basically the entire floor of the RV that could be used for that purpose. It would be more efficient, it would be easier to drive because of the instant torque and it would do wonders for handling as the center of gravity would be brought way down. The what if is how many batteries you'd need to achieve a respectable range and how much they would cost. But in terms of what would be better, I think in pretty much any application like that an electric drivetrain would be better than gas/ diesel.

I know I've been whistling this tune for 4 years now and everyone thinks I'm full of shit, even despite more and more companies/ countries stating they're bailing on the internal combustion engine, but internal combustion is in it's death throws. Electrification is the future and I'm not even sure Tesla will be the leader in that future. Speaking from personal experience I can say that if BMW came out with an electric 5 series that had auto steer I'd jump ship pretty quick and that's going to be reality in just a few years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info