TCG Welders Step in

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I have owned a Lincoln Electric 140C MIG for about 7 or 8 years now and have welded a ton of stuff from small structural stuff to beads that really needed to look attractive. I cannot remember exactly what I paid for it, but I think it was somewhere around $700-800. Well worth it. I bought two gas cylinders from Airgas too, and keep 75/25 in one for general welding duty, and Tri-Mix in the other for welding stainless. A welder is an investment, and with investments you get what you pay for. So, for around $400 you may get something that barely does what you want it to, with very little adjustment, but you may want to consider splurging a bit or saving a bit more before purchasing to get a nicer machine. Eagle has a Lincoln 140C or T as well so he may come in here and speak about his experiences as well.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I wonder how the 140 would compare to the lincoln Handy mig??? I'm not sure i will be welding such heavy duty stuff that i would need the 140??

The Hobart 140 that was linked will be way better than that EasyMig from Lincoln because it has one heck of a lot more adjustability because it has a multitap voltage selector. The Easymig only has a high and low power setting which just isn't enough. The next step up is from a multitapped welder is a continuous tapped welder which allows infinite power adjustments between the lowest to highest setting. I prefer my "C" welder for the fine adjustability.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Anything over this model will likely be towards the $1000 range. Reasonably priced is relative to what you're looking for.
I'm looking for a hobby welder. I just had some one say recently not to bother with a 120v welder because the duty cycle sucks. I'm personally looking to spend $1000 - $1500 someday for a nice welder that can do steel and aluminum. Seems like a good investment for a gearhead in the long run when you factor in how much stuff you can make/repair

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I'm looking for a hobby welder. I just had some one say recently not to bother with a 120v welder because the duty cycle sucks. I'm personally looking to spend $1000 - $1500 someday for a nice welder that can do steel and aluminum. Seems like a good investment for a gearhead in the long run when you factor in how much stuff you can make/repair

I have never had any issues with my 120v Lincoln 140C machine regarding duty cycle. I honestly think it is overstated especially when it comes to someone looking for a hobby welder. If you are looking to spend upwards of $1500 then you would be in the range of a nice Lincoln TIG welder, which is really nice for welding aluminum. I have a 220v Lincoln Precision 225 TIG machine in my garage as well for the purpose of aluminum and "pretty welding". However, I find myself using the MIG way more than the fancy schmancy TIG welder when it comes to most jobs. If I were to only have one welding machine, it would be my $800-ish MIG hands down!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info