TCG Track Day 2018 #1 June 4th Autobahn

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
there's an HPDE+ class which even has an amazing s2k guy in it (jackie ding) - he lost to a mustang and vette last year although he could certainly still take it this year. i bet he'd still be moar fastars in those cars though.

I know Jackie and his car has come a long way, it now has a wing and front aero so he can hopefully be even more competitive. He beat me by .8 seconds last year at WMHM for 1st place in N+ class. Bastardo! The craziest thing about that kid, that s2000 is his ONLY car, he daily's that car and he lives in an apartment, so the upgrades and all the shit he does is done in a parking lot outside. I have a ton of respect for him.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
We go out to have some fun and stretch the legs on our cars. Hopefully safely and learn along the way. Anyone of us that wants to get more serious about this knows we really need to go back to square one and get a small tire, momentum car to learn the correct ways to do things. Then progress from there.

I'd love to do a racing school such as Bondurant or Skip Barber. Two of my friends did the 4 day school at Bondurant and really became good drivers. The $5K fee plus expenses is what keeps me from doing it lol.

Anyways, a lot of the members at autobahn bought Spec Miatas because they're cheap, require little maintenance, etc. The last I looked, you could get into one for $12-15K for a well sorted one.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
dat sounds cwazy especially if new, really you learn the most driving something slow. it forces you to learn how to push it to actually move around the course fast, plus you have much more time to get your head on right and make decisions and learn fundamentals. one thing of many i know i'm bad at is being comfortable with slip and am far away from that real skill of managing slip angle and taking turns quickly. arguably i should have just kept tracking and pushing on the nice 215 all seasons the car came with and gotten better on those fundamentals before upgrading. i spend most of my laps practicing bad habits i think.

Do you trail brake much? How often is your car understeering/oversteering through a turn?

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
I’m really excited to get on the track this year, I’m hoping the changes I’ve made add up to something on the track.

I believe in nanny’s myself, even if I’ve turned them down to minimal interference, I like knowing it will catch it. Y’all sliding around and controlling it, I have mad props for you, I’ll be the wuss relying on hp [emoji23]

Another motto I have... brake early, gas early lol

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Just remember, nannies only do so much.

And no matter what nannies you have, they do no good when there is no traction of the tires to the ground. Shit can go sideways real quick! haha

I watched where even pros drove the new Z06 and posted faster lap times with the nannies turned down but still functioning. I have no doubt they can help a driver post faster times. But they can also mask bad driving. That is why we were talking about those small tire momentum cars. They teach you a lot about chassis and suspension dynamics. When things go wrong that are at slower speeds and you have less of a chance of having something really bad happen. Imagine adding your brain into the mix of seeing a potential and knowing how to make needed adjustments as well as the nannies doing the same thing. You are going to be quicker around the track and not end up scrubbing time or worse.

Just like most things, starting off learning the fundamentals first helps you progress quicker and end up being better at it. But most of us didn't start with go-karts, Miatas, and the such. We started with our street cars that we owned and headed out to have a good time. We just have to be careful so we don't get out of sorts. Which is hard because we just want to go faster! hahaha

I am excited to see what you are able to do with the car. Should be a good time.

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
Just remember, nannies only do so much.

And no matter what nannies you have, they do no good when there is no traction of the tires to the ground. Shit can go sideways real quick! haha

I watched where even pros drove the new Z06 and posted faster lap times with the nannies turned down but still functioning. I have no doubt they can help a driver post faster times. But they can also mask bad driving. That is why we were talking about those small tire momentum cars. They teach you a lot about chassis and suspension dynamics. When things go wrong that are at slower speeds and you have less of a chance of having something really bad happen. Imagine adding your brain into the mix of seeing a potential and knowing how to make needed adjustments as well as the nannies doing the same thing. You are going to be quicker around the track and not end up scrubbing time or worse.

Just like most things, starting off learning the fundamentals first helps you progress quicker and end up being better at it. But most of us didn't start with go-karts, Miatas, and the such. We started with our street cars that we owned and headed out to have a good time. We just have to be careful so we don't get out of sorts. Which is hard because we just want to go faster! hahaha

I am excited to see what you are able to do with the car. Should be a good time.

I’ve got years of experience with motorcycles on track and it has transferred to car. My approach has always been one of build till it slips then level. Have yet to come close to losing traction in the vette, but again nannies. I plan to have multiple cameras mounted this year , should be entertaining

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Do you trail brake much? How often is your car understeering/oversteering through a turn?

i do very little that makes me uncomfortable because then i just go fetal and roll around the floor of the car

going to try and do it with t6, got 3 days to practice at gingerman. i don't really do much of it though. i'd inadvertently do it ab full on north 8. not in a smooth way usually overslowing and being a sloppy bitch.

my car is pretty balanced though it overall feels pretty neutral, at least how i'm tooling about in it.

Thread Info