TCG I need your opinions

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I think the whole "old car" with a "new motor" crammed into it fad has gotten stale. Nothing about it is really unique anymore. And unless you're really sinking a to of money into the interior, its not going to be a comfortable as a newer car....so you're basically spending what could be a ton of money to make an old turd a new car.

It's stale because it's the only way to go with an older cruiser. Unless you have a rare numbers matching car or a desirable power train combo, there is zero reason to not upgrade to a newer power train. That's you think it's stale. The wow factory is gone I admit that. It's still really cool.

No a 3rd gen will never be as comfortable as a ZL1. It still would be half the price. Also I'm not daily driving the car. It all depends what experience you want when you drive the car though. That's my dilemma. Do I want the older, nostalgic feel or do I basically want a daily driver will more power.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
And here I am restoring a 1971 economy car ;) I am after the older less comforts fun to drive on the weekend car. The 300zx is a plush gt cruiser.

I guess the big question is are you going to regret not taking your first favorite car to where you want it with the GTA vs a new Camaro?

I can agree with wanting something more modern. My 300zx has no airbags and the Datsun barely had seatbelts. I figure if I want a performance 4 door I will end up in a BMW or something else that has a real back seat.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I think the whole "old car" with a "new motor" crammed into it fad has gotten stale. Nothing about it is really unique anymore. And unless you're really sinking a to of money into the interior, its not going to be a comfortable as a newer car....so you're basically spending what could be a ton of money to make an old turd a new car.

If you're building a cruiser, you'll want something that is comfortable....seems to be, especially with a third gen, thats gonna require new seats, a modern dash that isnt from 1925, maybe sound deadening? Lots of other stuff.

Hmm... Kinda. But as stock as my car is it's fun surprising people.

Comfort... Only thing I have that's bad is my knee being kinked for hours on end cause no cruise. I basically just need to make brackets to have seats go back further.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I think the whole "retromod" style is "fading" is much like the rest of the enthusiast industry.

If it isn't a 7.9 street car...

If it isn't a 1200hp Hellcat powered 1970 Charger with carbon fiber everything...

If it isn't...

The bar to being "cool" is set so exponentially fucking high these days, all the normal builds are passed off as trash.

If it isn't a Nelson Racing 1700hp powered 1970 split bumper with ZL1 interior and ZL1 drivetrain behind the motor, it's pathetic and you should kill yourself and light your build on fire for wasting everyone's time.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Seriously?

No wonder I can't find a decently fucking priced Nova around here.

Neither could he. He's shipping one from I think Oregon.

24232564_581015092230658_764143718853980766_n.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
No airbag rule with a baby doesnt make sense since they're in a car seat. Laura (Brian's wife) is saying the same about Liam going in one of the Grand Prix's or the 3000GT. To me its no different then her elantra since he's a year and a half and in a car seat.

You don't get it. It's not for the kid, it's for me and making sure there's a father around for the kid.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Had a similar dilemma when I got my 4th gen. I really wanted a 3rd gen and to swap it. Decided not to because I wanted to enjoy driving it, not working on it. Then had to replace the entire driveline in my 4th gen and though, well fuck I could be into a 3rd gen for way cheaper with all I've been through. I do enjoy my 4th gen, but man is the new stuff nice. Rides nicer, is quieter, more comfortable, etc. I would say build what you truly want. Only problem is deciding on that. If I were picking between a 3rd gen and a new ZL1, I would take the new one for performance/comfort but the 3rd gen for price.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL

If you're building a cruiser, you'll want something that is comfortable....seems to be, especially with a third gen, thats gonna require new seats, a modern dash that isnt from 1925, maybe sound deadening? Lots of other stuff.

Thanks for shitting on my parade mook! :io:

aaaaaaaaaand I'm looking at Novas.

Thanks.

Another Novabro!

I think the whole "retromod" style is "fading" is much like the rest of the enthusiast industry.

If it isn't a 7.9 street car...

If it isn't a 1200hp Hellcat powered 1970 Charger with carbon fiber everything...

If it isn't...

The bar to being "cool" is set so exponentially fucking high these days, all the normal builds are passed off as trash.

If it isn't a Nelson Racing 1700hp powered 1970 split bumper with ZL1 interior and ZL1 drivetrain behind the motor, it's pathetic and you should kill yourself and light your build on fire for wasting everyone's time.

Problem with "restomod's" is that today's cars are so god damn advanced from even 15 years ago that it isn't about just swapping in a drivetrain and suspension anymore. Plus it's the whole been there done that as Mook was pointing out.

To the OP, figure out what makes you happy and just do it. For some having that new car that hasn't fallen apart yet is the ticket. While others is about making the car your own.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
is there really nothing between a 3rd gen and a $65k+ sticker 2017 ZL1 that would satisfy you? Lol. Talk about a big gap

The compromise here is to buy something newer, sooner, that doesn't cost $50k+ used. How about finding a good deal on one of the 2012-13 ZL1's and driving it until you can afford to trade it on a newer one?

There are a lot of nice cars out there that do not depreciate much, you won't regret buying them. IMO the older ZL1 camaros are one of them. It's all about buying smart

Financially, you'll lose the most money swapping the powertrain in a 25 year old heap. you won't get a penny of that project back

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Seriously?

search for malibu's then at least too...

is there really nothing between a 3rd gen and a $65k+ sticker 2017 ZL1 that would satisfy you? Lol. Talk about a big gap

The compromise here is to buy something newer, sooner, that doesn't cost $50k+ used. How about finding a good deal on one of the 2012-13 ZL1's and driving it until you can afford to trade it on a newer one?

There are a lot of nice cars out there that do not depreciate much, you won't regret buying them. IMO the older ZL1 camaros are one of them. It's all about buying smart

Financially, you'll lose the most money swapping the powertrain in a 25 year old heap. you won't get a penny of that project back

i personally don't feel like the ZL1 camaro isn't immune to depreciation.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
It's just an example....a nice, newer, quick car to drive until he can buy the 2017+ that he wants. It'll cost less in investment/depreciation loss than a 3rd gen project that's for sure

It's narrowed down to those two options. My next car is what I plan to keep for a long while because of the timeline my wife I have for kids. If I get a cheaper car like a 5th gen ZL1, sure I may be saving $100/month but I'm sure I'd be stuck with it for more than a couple years. With small kids, car swapping will be harder. I think it's realistic to expect a 6th gen ZL1 to be in the 40's by the time I'm ready to buy. If I get 10k for my 4th gen and save another 5-10K in a couple years it is very doable with dropping 1 or both of our current payments. Hellcat is also an option, Vette is out and 5th gen is out.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
It's narrowed down to those two options. My next car is what I plan to keep for a long while because of the timeline my wife I have for kids. If I get a cheaper car like a 5th gen ZL1, sure I may be saving $100/month but I'm sure I'd be stuck with it for more than a couple years. With small kids, car swapping will be harder. I think it's realistic to expect a 6th gen ZL1 to be in the 40's by the time I'm ready to buy. If I get 10k for my 4th gen and save another 5-10K in a couple years it is very doable with dropping 1 or both of our current payments. Hellcat is also an option, Vette is out and 5th gen is out.

Got it

In that case my opinion is that you wait and get the ZL1. You'll be without a car for a couple years, but if you had a 3rd gen project you'd probably lose at least a summer making it how you want it anyways.

Make the ZL1 your goal because they are amazing cars, and try to work on ways to make it happen sooner.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info