Street tires for high hp

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I don't think anyone would say a drag radial is going to have less sidewall flex than a R compound tire for road racing. It is the nature of the beast.

If you want to throw non drag radial tires in the mix than look at a tire like the Michelin, Pilot Support Sports, Sport Cups, or Sport Cup 2. Those are great tires if you want a handling and soft compound. But make no mistake, no R compound tire designed to be home on a road course is going to hook like a drag radial. If you want straight line grip a drag radial will be hard to replace.

Maybe a R compound road race tire and Davis Traction Control System would work best? If you want to spend some Benjamin's.

If you are going down that route would look more toward the RE71R's, RS4, Dunlop Direzza ZIII. Usually they are cheaper than the michelin options and can offer a lot of grip before jumping up to an r compound. Still straightline not as strong as a DR.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I have Mickey street comps in the front and 1st gen ET street radials on the rear of my 17" WS6 wheels. I like that set up a lot. I don't put many miles on the car but I've had the rear radials on the car for years and bought them used. I'll probably be buying the S/S' in 28" later this season.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I ran sidewalls that were 30" tall, ZERO ISSUES.

Bigfoot_Monster_Truck.jpg

K

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Nitto Invos and quite impressed with them. Budget friendly, handle hard turns like a champ and stick fairly well for the power thrown at them. Good in rain also.
Ah, I thoughts you had 888s at the half mile couple years ago lol. Obviously been a while.

(Secretly taking notes in thread)

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Here's the thing though, what feels "fine" to you probably isn't "fine" to someone else. For example, somebody drives a piece of shit car to work every day and it feels "fine" for them with "ZERO PROBLEMS" but to someone that doesn't drive a piece of shit car to work they might not feel the same way.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Here's the thing though, what feels "fine" to you probably isn't "fine" to someone else. For example, somebody drives a piece of shit car to work every day and it feels "fine" for them with "ZERO PROBLEMS" but to someone that doesn't drive a piece of shit car to work they might not feel the same way.

True, all I’ve ran on this car was nitto 555 drag radials and street ss’s it didn’t feel fine when the car spun out at 80 and hit a fence trying to go in a straight line on the nitto’s, it does feel fine when the car hooks up in way colder temperatures on the et streets from a 20 roll

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
True, all I’ve ran on this car was nitto 555 drag radials and street ss’s it didn’t feel fine when the car spun out at 80 and hit a fence trying to go in a straight line on the nitto’s, it does feel fine when the car hooks up in way colder temperatures on the et streets from a 20 roll

It's all about being reasonable with your expectations. Guys expecting to take a tall sidewall drag radial on a road course are as dumb as the guys who think a road race tire will hook up in a straight line as well as a drag radial. They are designed for a specific application because they do have different design elements.

If a drag radial makes the OP uncomfortable, then maybe he needs a set of street tires and a set of track tires? I have never had an issue where I felt wobble with a drag radial. Maybe I could feel a little with real low air pressure? But it didn't raise a concern or made me remember it as I expected that with that low of a tire pressure? Maybe? I say sack up and stop complaining. :bowrofl: j/k :D

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Damn Pratt trying to go hard in the paint with this conversation. I’m giving my opinion on my experience with both.

There is quite the difference in the performance/feel of the rear characteristics of my car going from a DR to a road race tire. I don’t see why you have seem to have such a problem with that lol

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Shut up [MENTION=60]greasy[/MENTION] ! :rofl:

I really don't care as it isn't my car. Others in here troll and others make comments. so I comment as well.

The guy said he wanted straight line traction. A drag radial is designed for straight line traction. And yet people keep offering road race tires. There is a reason drag racers don't use road race tires. lol

It's like someone asking how to trim their 15' tree because they don't really like the length of their 15" tree trimming pole. Then people telling him to use an A-frame ladder and his lawnmower. Use the correct tool for the job people! haha

A drag radial will be his best option for hooking in a straight line. What about working out the problem without changing the tires? Maybe free air vs. $600+ for a pair of tires? I mean what can go wrong trying free air? Air pressure inside the tire WILL stiffen the sidewall and should cause less sway.

I'm just saying, that's all.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I hear ya, I asked what he was using it for and he did say straight line but he didn’t want any wiggle on ramps. To be honest I have felt wiggle on ramps with a DR. And while air is free, there will probably be times he is out with the car wanting straight line grip then hopping on a highway not wanting a mushy feeling.

GWD will just have to determine what’s he deems more important.

Straight line, but don’t want that rear wiggle feeling in every turn or on ramp.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info