Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
So is this the first time the Star Wars logo has been red? Things are usually not changed just because with the franchise.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/bad-feeling-sith-red-star-wars-logo/

There has been an awakening—have you felt it? It’s not the reveal of the new Star Wars movie title, Star Wars: The Last Jedi. It’s the internet’s excitement over the logo in the teaser. This time, it’s red, not yellow. And that could be a big deal.

It’s unclear whether the new color is for the teaser image only, or if it’ll actually appear in the movie’s opening titles. If it’s the latter, Episode VIII will be the first film in the Skywalker saga to forego the familiar yellow logo. (And just one year after Rogue One ditched the Star Wars title card altogether.) That would make it the franchise’s biggest break from its classic intro in four decades. You don’t make that kind of change haphazardly. Plus, even if it is just for teaser imagery, the color choice still sends a message to ardent fans.

Red is a significant color in Star Wars mythology. Sure, it was the identifier for Luke Skywalker’s X-Wing squadron in the original film, but the color’s overtones are typically insidious. It’s the color not only of many a Sith’s lightsaber, including Darth Vader’s and Darth Maul’s, but also the livery of the Imperial Guard from Return of the Jedi (arguably the most colorful costumes in the entire series to date). Even a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, red tends to signify danger—at least for the good guys.

Red’s menacing connotation applies to logos, as well. Lucasfilm has used red logos three times before: The official promotional logo for 1983’s Return of the Jedi (or, as it was first known, Revenge of the Jedi, as can be seen from the video below), and in the on-screen title cards for the 2012 Star Wars: The Clone Wars episodes “Brothers” and “Revenge.”

Two of these three uses traced the rise of villains. “Brothers” and “Revenge”, a two-episode arc from the fourth season of the animated Clone Wars series, tell the story of the return of Darth Maul, presumed dead after the events of Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace.

Obviously, that’s not true of Return of the Jedi, the happy ending of the original trilogy. Yet Jedi shares a thematic bond nonetheless, in that it’s a movie wherein good guys die. Return of the Jedi sees not only the death of Darth Vader (whose ghostly appearance at the film’s conclusion suggests he has somehow gone back to being a Jedi rather than Sith) but also the more peaceful demise of Yoda.

All of this might be clutching at color-coded straws, and have no significance for director Rian Johnson’s movie. But, taken together with that title (and assuming that Lucasfilm knows exactly what it’s doing by changing the color of a logo that fans know is supposed to be yellow), one thing becomes increasingly clear about the follow-up to The Force Awakens: It’s probably time to have a bad feeling about this.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
From Rian Johnson's IG.

16230797_1105437266233264_2275099865237159936_n.jpg

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010

Return of the Jedi was originally titled Revenge of the Jedi and was supposed to be a much darker film than it wound up being. Luke was actually supposed to turn and was sent off to kill Han and Leia. When he confronts them he snaps back to the light. Lucas wanted to sell more toys so the script and title were changed to be more kid friendly.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Interesting. I don't see how Luke turning to the dark side could fit with any legitimate narrative though. It could make sense in RoTJ since he was still young and only recently finished his training. At this point though? I don't see it. I don't see Rey turning either. I think the title implies that Rey is not, and will not, become a Jedi. Like Kylo Ren is not a Sith. Rey will be the birth of a new generation of force users that are something other than Jedi.

I think the title just means that Luke will be the focus of this episode.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Interesting. I don't see how Luke turning to the dark side could fit with any legitimate narrative though. It could make sense in RoTJ since he was still young and only recently finished his training. At this point though? I don't see it. I don't see Rey turning either. I think the title implies that Rey is not, and will not, become a Jedi. Like Kylo Ren is not a Sith. Rey will be the birth of a new generation of force users that are something other than Jedi.

I think the title just means that Luke will be the focus of this episode.

My buddy agrees with you (from post 22)

Or the order that he rebuilds is more balanced and complete in the Force than just being Jedi or Sith. It could be something new begins; the Force has awakened, not the religions of the Force.

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
In regards to the title in red, who knows. I mean yeah every star wars film that had an opening intro was yellow, but it could be just for the hype as suggested. I mean in the star wars novels the logos have different colors.

I agree Luke is the last jedi, at least during this movie, whether he gets off'd or not, who knows.

I wholeheartedly believe that Rey is part of the Kenobi lineage.

- English Accents for both

- Lived in solitude (Like Obi-wan)

- Exceptional with using the force mind trick without any training (which obi-wan was the only jedi to use this successfully through out the movies)

- His voice spoke to Rey when she touched the lightsaber in Maz's Bar

- Throughout the 6 movies there has always been a form of a Skywalker/Kenobi relationship.

- In the cartoon clone wars, Kenobi had a hidden love interest, which turn may have had a child with her. Now I am sure you're thinking "they wouldnt use a cartoon as a character in a movie" ... think again. Saw Gurrera in Rogue 1 was a character in the clone wars cartoon.

Just saying lol.

I believe Snoke is Darth Plageus (sp?) Or some sort of spinoff character. Plageus was the one who could manipulate life fore and bring back people to life. If Snoke is this person, I think he will bring back a pivotal character from a previous movie to life, and use them it to his advantage. Maybe Obi Wan?? Another parent/child duel??
Im just grasping straws at this one, but sounds legit :dunno:

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
^^^^ that concept is nearly identical to the lore found in the SWTOR MMO.

In the latest expansion, after Jedi vs Sith goes on for so long, you encounter a new empire, known as Zakuul. They are force users that are extremely powerful and are neither light or dark.

This does take place thousands of years before the current star wars universe, though.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
^^^^ that concept is nearly identical to the lore found in the SWTOR MMO.

In the latest expansion, after Jedi vs Sith goes on for so long, you encounter a new empire, known as Zakuul. They are force users that are extremely powerful and are neither light or dark.

This does take place thousands of years before the current star wars universe, though.

From what I gather, thats how the cartoon is portraying gray users. Thousands of years ago that was the way to be, but over time users started to lean towards one way and that was the way it had to be. The theory also explains how the Knights of Ren might be gray users with Kylo Ren being the best of them and the Sith now dont even use the rule of 2 anymore since gray users will be more powerful than sith or jedi alone. Which also coincides with the title of Last Jedi. Luke Skywalker may be the last Jedi, and Rey may start training to be a gray user.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info