Smug's car audio build thread. Dis gonna be good

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Can you explain a little bit about how judging works? It just seems like something so subjective.

I will try to relay this as best as I can. How the judging process is more complex then some one jumping in my car and just enjoying the system. First the judges have to go through some sort of training and learn the music to even become a judge. I am not sure how is process works to become a judge. Every competitor has a score sheet in their car that the judges use. Also, the judge has a CD or flash drive with the same songs to use in every ones car.

Before I get into this I believe that everyone hears things differently, some times judges can be bias to people or brands of equipment. That is the subjective part. I guess to keep this to a minimum one judge will judge all the IASCA cars, one will judge all MECA cars. Basically you can't have two judges judging the same class of cars. That would make war.

A well tuned and put together car, when listening from the drivers seat, should should like a stage. Singers voice usually centered, and instruments have places. So basically the judge knows the music so well that they would know what instrument comes in at what time, where it should be placed on the stage and how it should sound.

There are also technical tracks built into the judges media. Example to look at stage placement they use a male voice and he will say "Left" with some short 5 second musical notes played. This would be used to show how far left the sound stage is. Then the voice would say "Left Center" with same musical notes. This would show left center placement. Then "Center," "Right Center," and "Right."

They judge overall tonality, basically how good it sounds, how real it sounds. A great sounding system it not going to make your ears bleed in 20 minuets. Well because, that is not a good sounding system. I am trying to recreate, in my car, exactly how the song was recorded. The judges know how it is suppose to sound. They listen to detail, how clean and real the music sounds. They listen for the kick drum at 43 seconds that you should feel in your chest.

They judge on stage width, depth, and height. In my car depending on the track played the singer can sound like they are standing anywhere from on the hood of my car to so close to my face I can smell what they ate for lunch. That is depth. Width is how wide or narrow and height it height lol.

That is some of the basics. Here is a description in detail of the songs on the MECA disk to give you an idea.
MECA-Tantric-Tuning-Notes-1.jpg

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
That makes it a little more clear, I guess I just don't know enough about it to 100% grasp what's going on.

When you have a lot of great sounding cars in the same class it comes down to the little things that the judge will pick out. Maybe the car sitting next to my car has slightly better stage placement then mine. That could cost me a win at an event and the judge can not be subjective about that. It's either right or it's wrong.

Example: Last Saturday the first judge was in my car for 2 minuets and opens my car door. Says hey Dan listen to track 3, 13, and 18. Your sound stage is completely off the right and you have 15 minuets to fix this. I don't know what the hell happened but I fired up the laptop and reset time alignment to get my sound stage centered again.

To continue my ramblings. Time Alignment. When you system has no time alignment you will hear the music from the speaker that is closest to you. We use time alignment, in milliseconds, to adjust when each speaker fires so that the music will reach your ears at exactly the same time to create a centered stage and image. The whole system should mentally sound and feel like your not in a car anymore.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I went to Slamology over the weekend in Indy and took 2nd place there. I lot to first place by a 1/4 of a point. Ugh

Aaaaaaaaaaaand my new sub will be here tomorrow so its will be time to take the trunk apart again and build a trunk baffle to fit this 15" sub.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Oh wow I have not updated this thread in forever.

The 2017 season is over and I am on a team. Team Revelation Audio and we build bespoke hand built amplifiers

I went out of town for Steel Valley Regional in West Virginia, hit up a few local shows for point towards finals and then went to Louisville Kentucky for finals.

I am proud to say that my team and I did very well. At finals I took and 1st, 2nd and a 3rd in different classes and this years finals was damn near a record turnout. Awards were not given out until after midnight.

At SVR I took a 1st and a 3rd in my classes and 10th over all in the top 30 money round challenge.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I want to say that a lot of stuff has changed in the car since I last updated the thread. I am currently running:
Factory headunit with navigation
Audio Control Matrix Plus line driver
Helix DSP Pro II
Revelation Audio 5 channel Madison Amplifier
Sinfoni Maestoso speakers
Acoustic Elegance 15" sub IB

My Madison amp and AE sub

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2181csu]

My 1st and 2nd place trophy at finals
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Z896sJ]

Some hardware that the team won. Some left because this pic was taken about 1 AM Monday morning
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Z89nWL]
https://flic.kr/p/Z89nWL

RAPER

Regular
Jan 12, 2008
Rockford-ish
just seen this post smug.. congrats on how well you are placing. I have not kept up on how the scene is for car audio in some time, however I am glad that it is still alive and well.

I use to compete in USAC from 97-02 on a regional and national level and some of my very good friends campained in DB drag.. I was the oddball that was into SQ.lol.. I won spring break nationals in 01 (novice 301-600) and placed 2nd at Finals that year. After all the 9/11 stuff happened the scene kinda went dead and a ton stoped competiting (myself included). The 90's were amazing for car audio and I have seen some amazing work in my time and still am amazed by some of it.

Yea people have no idea how incredable a good audio system is and how much work it takes to accomplish this. You are 100% right about the judging process and how biased it can be based off the materials you used and colors combinations. You can go to a local show and place 3rd and then hit a regional show and place 1st or vice versa and not change a thing. I've also seen first hand on a vehicle showing up that has won several shows continue to win because the judge's simply are like "oh this guy won all these so he must be better". Even if there is a better competitor at the event.

Keep on kicking ass out there and do your thing. I have this fondness for vintage equipment and have been kicking around the idea to get back into it with some of the older stuff I still have.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
just seen this post smug.. congrats on how well you are placing. I have not kept up on how the scene is for car audio in some time, however I am glad that it is still alive and well.

I use to compete in USAC from 97-02 on a regional and national level and some of my very good friends campained in DB drag.. I was the oddball that was into SQ.lol.. I won spring break nationals in 01 (novice 301-600) and placed 2nd at Finals that year. After all the 9/11 stuff happened the scene kinda went dead and a ton stoped competiting (myself included). The 90's were amazing for car audio and I have seen some amazing work in my time and still am amazed by some of it.

Yea people have no idea how incredable a good audio system is and how much work it takes to accomplish this. You are 100% right about the judging process and how biased it can be based off the materials you used and colors combinations. You can go to a local show and place 3rd and then hit a regional show and place 1st or vice versa and not change a thing. I've also seen first hand on a vehicle showing up that has won several shows continue to win because the judge's simply are like "oh this guy won all these so he must be better". Even if there is a better competitor at the event.

Keep on kicking ass out there and do your thing. I have this fondness for vintage equipment and have been kicking around the idea to get back into it with some of the older stuff I still have.

Thank you and awesome work back in the day! What kind of a setup did you have?

RAPER

Regular
Jan 12, 2008
Rockford-ish
Thank you and awesome work back in the day! What kind of a setup did you have?

At that time I was running PPI amps (a pc2150 and a pc450) that i had taken apart and sprayed the body color of my car. 2 Image Dynamic IDMAX 12's ( I had a pair of the first batch they produced) and my front stage consisted of a 3 way from OZ Audio (silk dome tweet and 4" mid in the kick and a 6.5" mid in door). I was using a deq230 for tuning and at that time I had a pair of Alpine head units in the dash ( i had 2 single din openings in the mustang). cant remember what models but the upper was a fold out monitor that did all the multimedia and all the interfacing and the lower was the disc player that slaved to the monitor and did all the audio processing and time alignment . was state of the art at the time.

I still have the oz audio componets and my deq... also have a sweet pair of focal 10's that I was using in my s10 that are amazing. i have a ton of vintage equipment that i couldn't part with

Thread Info